Monday, January 18, 2010

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Good Charities For Your Donation

I know I haven't been blogging. I started dipping into a depression late last year, and frankly, I've been an emotional slug, avoiding most human contact. Not good, I know.

But even a slug can't help but be moved by the awfulness going on to the south.

If you have wanted to give to the relief effort aiding suffering Haitians, but you've wondered through which organization, be careful. To be sure, there are many, but not all are created equal. Some are scams. Always check out to whom you send your cc info or check.

I've donated to Haiti charity work in the past, and I kept an ear to the grapevine back when Katrina and other hurricanes hit in our nation. As a reasult,  I know some charities respond faster and better than others.

For instance, I read lots of reports of the poor work done post-Katrina by a very famous emergency charity. As such, I stopped giving to them. On the other hand, I heard as many positive remarks from a variety of victims on the work done by Samaritan's Purse and NAMB, so I trust those two for emergency aid locally and internationally.

For Haiti, I wanted to support a charity that already had ties and connections with local communities/churches/folk in Haiti. I chose to donate to the North American Mission Board's disaster relief specifically tagged for Haiti Earthquake aid. Every penny goes to the relief, none to administrative.

But I almost went with World Vision or Samaritan's Purse. Doctors without Borders is a good one, as well. All these are rated 4 stars (top rating) by Charity Navigator.

If you don't have a favorite emergency aid charity you trust, consider one of these:

World Vision (Christian, non-denom)
NAMB (Southern Baptist)
Samaritan's Purse (Christian)
Doctors Without Borders (secular)

Or check out this list at the Charity Navigator site.


post signature

No comments: