Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Adam Lambert and MAD WORLD Made The Mir Cry!

I was NOT enjoying watching AMERICAN IDOL tonight with hubby. Some really nowhere performances.

Then, my fave from day one, Adam Lambert (I also like Allison Iraheta and, probably third best, Danny G) comes on and starts singing one of my very favorite songs (and if this preference weren't proof of my innate melancholia, I dunno what is), MAD WORLD, written by Tears for Fears' Roland Orzabal adn released in 1982--the year I met my hubby. It was later covered gorgeously--improving on the original--by Gary Jules. Ah, that minimalist piano and moody cello. A rainy day song...lie in bed and brood about life. You may have heard it used to perfection in the film DONNIE DARKO. Well, as soon as I realized what Adam was singing, I ran--literally RAN with arms flailing--to turn off the lights and raise the TV volume.

He rocked it like mad. I was crying. CRYING. The only AI performance that ever made me cry. The moody lighting, the quiver on the word "nervous". Loved it. (I would have preferred going low for the final words, back to the downlow gloom, but he went high. S'okay. Adam's the bomb.) He's been so consistently interesting and excellent, we may be getting us the first gay American Idol first place winner. (Clay Aiken came in second, after Ruben, if ya recall.)

AI redeemed itself in those last few minutes for the previous ho-humness.

In case you're curious, here are links and the lyrics to hear MAD WORLD:

Gary Jules' take on it--better than TforFears' even. Watch it with FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST visuals, if ya want.

Mad World
by Tears for Fears


All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
And their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow
And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
'Cos I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It's a very, very
Mad World

Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday
Made to feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, no one knew me
Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson
Look right through me, look right through me

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
'Cos I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It's a very, very
Mad World

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he stole Mad World ya twit!