Wednesday, June 25, 2008

VANISHED by Kathryn Mackel on The Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy Blog Tour

I'm so out of it lately, it's not at all funny. So, I'm really late here. I'll try to atone by posting a review by month's end and by giving away a couple of free copies of our featured novel, VANISHED, by Kathryn Mackel.

Really, don't hold my doofussy tardiness against VANISHED. :) Not that you would. After all, if you've hung with the CSFF blog tour since the early days, you're familiar with Kathryn Mackel as the author of the terrific science fiction series called The Birthright Project.

(Note: If you sign up for Kathryn's newsletter, you are up for chances to win free books. Do it!)

I can't offer my review just yet, as I've not finished the novel (I did say LATE!), but so far, it's got a nice fast pace and an interesting speculative SF phenomenon. Kathryn has made this a cinematic novel (so far), and not one that starts off with a bunch of backstory or "preachy" stuff. She starts with people with personal woes (always a good way to go) and gets off pretty fast with some action. Things go very wrong, which is how I like my SF, frankly--fast and dangerous.

You can read a multi-part interview with Kathryn over at Christopher Hopper's blog. And a nice bio of Kathryn is over at A Place Called Fiction.

I would also ask for prayers for Kathryn. This is a talented author, who happens to write books that suit those of us who enjoy SF and thrillers, and she's had some hardships with the follow-ups to some of her SF work, notably the curtailed Birthright Project (2 books came out, three were originally planned). And if you have visited Becky Miller's blog during the tour, then you know that with the Christian Chiller series, of which VANISHED is #1, Kathryn has had more of those roadblocks put in her way. It's difficult being a Christian speculative author. No doubt about it. Pray that paths will open up for her and the right audience stampedes for her novels. She's good.

(On the happy side, Shannon reports that Book 3 of the Birthright Project is coming. I'm so there.)

Know what? Why not drop by Kathryn's blog and say hello? Tell her Mir sent ya.

And if you are still reading VANISHED, like moi, UKSteve has a list of songs that you can read by. It's amusing. And some some really good tunes, too! (Steve, ya know I gotta crush on Robert Smith, weird hair and lipstick and all, dontcha?)

So...until I get a review posted, please check out the links below with my fellow tourmates, who aren't late like me. Ahem.

And if you got this far, I might as well reward you. The first two bloggers who post a comment about why they really want to read VANISHED and need a free copy from me cause their budgets just can't handle the expense, I'll send you a copy via amazon. The only thing I ask is if you want the book and you win one of the two free giveaways, that you post a review on your blog after you've read it with a link to the amazon.com book page. That's not a lot to ask, right?

So, if you want a free copy and you have a blog and you're willing to write a review of it with a link to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1599792117 , then go ahead and post a comment. (You'll have to give me a way to reach you via email--but disguise it so you don't get spammed, something like "my email is Jane Doe atsy gmail dotsy com"--and then I will need your snail mail to get your copy of VANISHED to you. Off ya go.)

Visit my tourmates:

Brandon Barr
Justin Boyer
Jackie Castle
CSFF Blog Tour
Gene Curtis
D. G. D. Davidson
Jeff Draper
April Erwin
Karina Fabian
Beth Goddard
Andrea Graham
Todd Michael Greene
Katie Hart
Christopher Hopper
Joleen Howell
Jason Joyner
Carol Keen
Mike Lynch
Terri Main
Margaret
Shannon McNear
Melissa Meeks
Rebecca LuElla Miller
John W. Otte
Deena Peterson
Rachelle
Steve Rice
Ashley Rutherford
Mirtika or Mir's Here
Chawna Schroeder
Stuart Stockton
Steve Trower
Speculative Faith
Linda Wichman
Laura Williams
Timothy Wise

1 comment:

UKSteve said...

I did noot know that Mir, but thanks for sharing ;)