Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Checking in...

Well, it's been a tad frazzly here. Hubby got his lay-off notice, so he's been in a flurry of resume polishing, job applying, job interviewing, etc. He's got one very nice response, but it would mean relocating to the Pacific Northwest, and for a Miami gal with just about all her family hereabouts, that would be a wrenching thing. Plus, ugh, cold weather and higher cost of living.

My stress comes from the upheaval fears. I'm researching the different areas we may need to move to--housing, weather, education institutions, Hispanic presence, etc. And trying to figure out how to start organizing our gazillion bits of stuff for a move. I have compulsive hoarding issues (I'm not kidding, btw, it's absolutely true), so weeding out stuff is enough to send me tailspinning into an anxiety/depression cycle. Been praying like nobody's business. God is good. :) I haven't totally freaked yet.

I can't think too hard about trying to sell the homestead in a non-moving housing market down here. It's a buyer's market, but the buying is sluggish due to the economic picture/credit crunch/consumer anxiety. It would be icky to move and still have this place unsold. I just pray it will sell speedily and focus on what I gotta do now to make it more "sellable."

I'm pretty out of touch right now with all my usual online haunts, sorry. Hope you are all well and prospering and dazzlingly creative.

Smoochies.

11 comments:

Selena said...

Mir, you and hubby are in my prayers. Hang in there.

Suzan said...

Hey Mir, I'll be praying for you. Keep us posted. And if you come to ATL, we can hang out.

Martin LaBar said...

God help you.

"dazzlingly creative?" I don't think so.

Valerie Comer said...

Take care, Mir. None of this is or was a surprise to God--he knew it long ago. When we're up against the wall and turn things over, that's when he delights to surprise us with blessing.

And hey, the NorthWest has good points too. :)

rebeccagrabill said...

Praying here too, Mir. Know the house-for-sale angst well these days (sold and un-sold our house this past week).

Praying you'll stay out of that spiral. Nasty one, that is.

Carmen Andres said...

been there and it is one of the more challenging parts of life. praying that you'll find yourself wrapped in his ever-present love and goodness. keep us posted!!

Matt Mikalatos said...

Believe it or not, the Pacific Northwest is much nicer than you would think. I mean, there are places like Powell's (http://powells.com), the largest (or so I'm told) privately owned used bookstore on the planet. Also, the weather is not so bad. That's just propaganda to keep the Californians out. I know, because I'm from CA.

Anyway, I'll be praying for you and your husband.

Anonymous said...

Middle age? Cuban-American? Seattle?

Don't do it. Don't get me wrong, Seattle is much nicer than anything in Florida; but you would be miserable there. Correct me if I am wrong, but you love heat and humidity (anything under 70 degrees is chilly), your need your family around, your Cuban community, Cuban foods, trashing Fidel all day.....etc.

Seattle will be gloomy gray for 9+ months of the year (many times you can go months without seeing the sun), no hispanics, no cuban markets nor foods, no beach, no calle ocho, extremely liberal, fun= hiking any time of the year, and nobody gives a d.. about Fidel!!!!

And finally, if you think Housing is expensive in Miami, wait until you check the Pacific Northwest...Plus, every second you wait, housing in Miami is going down by the thousands (and Seattle by the hundreds). If you will go to look, go in January, February.

Good luck...

bunbungirl said...

Hi! I found an article related to Diet in your site.
I am interested in your site very much
I want to often visit your site from now on.
Japanese I am interested in a diet, too.
Please link to this site if you are interested in a diet.
In this site, I send diet information in the world.
Would you introduce information(URL)in your site if you like it
http://diet-beauty-weightloss.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I found this site from seattlebubble.com.
I am a conservative from Seattle, originally from Hawaii. I actually like the cooler weather. It saves me a bundle on AC costs which really ate up my budget when I lived in Southern California. Anyhow, I second the above anonymous post, except the advice, "don't do it." I have to add the nightlife stinks compared to Miami, and the predominant Hispanic population is Mexican. I prefer that as I can understand their Spanish as they speak slower than the Cubans or the Dominicans. It will be a culture shock for you so you will have to carefully address all factors of the decision (lifestyle, entertainment, money, etc). Who knows, you may actually enjoy the cold damp weather and the singular Pacific Northwest culture, like I do. Just make an educated decision before you jump. Don't forget, your husband can always quit his job and relocate back to Miami. Nothing is ever permanent. Good luck with your decision.

Carmen Andres said...

mir, hope all is well. it's been sooooo long since we've heard your voice. just checking in . . . blessings and prayers, carmen