Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Christian SF and Fantasy Blog Tour: Chris Walley's THE SHADOW AND NIGHT -- Chance to Win a Free Book


A trillion people live under the gentle rule of the Assembly on over a thousand Made Worlds. Peace and stability have reigned for nearly twelve thousand years, and war and evil are merely ancient history. But all that is about to change.

On Farholme--a Made World at the edge of the Assembly--strange and troubling things are happening. Slowly, incredulously, a handful of men and women come to recognize the unthinkable: Evil has returned once more and it must be fought. Forester Merral D'Avanos and his friends are entrusted with the daunting task of confronting their world's elusive enemy.

Now isolated from the rest of the Assembly, Farholme must fight its battles alone. It falls to Merral to lead the untried forces of Farholme into war against opponents well-hidden and armed with strange powers. Yet even as he faces extraordinary and terrifying foes, Merral finds he has an unexpected enemy--himself.


Chris Walley and his Farholme novels are the focus of this blog tour. (If you'd like a copy of the first novel in the series, read on.)

THE SHADOW AND NIGHT is a repackaging by Tyndale of Walley's titles (originally released separately) and titled The Shadow at Evening and The Power of the Night. So, if you buy this tome, you're getting TWO novels.

If you want a briefer synopsis than the one above, here's one from the author himself:
After an unparalleled spiritual revival (the ‘Great Intervention') the human race survives the 21st century and during a long period of grace, peace and blessing, spreads out among the stars. Then, in the year 13,851 evil returns to the most distant of the inhabited worlds and once more men and women must battle with the sin and wrong.


I bought the first book in this series in the summer of 2006. I could not get past the early pages of historical info. It stopped me cold. I left it on my coffee table for a year and a half, sure I'd get back to it, then it got moved when we had to clear out some stuff for a new floor. I misplaced it. I didn't find it again until late yesterday evening. I still want to read it, notably because some pals of mine have really enjoyed it. But that slow beginning keeps me procrastinating.

What can I say? I like books that start out with a shot! Call me weak-willed. Call me MTV-video-generation afflicted. Prolly true.

However, as I said, pals of mine have enjoyed this, so it might be for you, too. You may have loved the slow -going opening pages of LOTR (It took me years to get into LOTR due the slow opening. I first tried in '76. When it hooked me, though, it hooked me hard, back in '83. . I still get bored and start skipping in parts when I reread. Tom B. is a major snoozefest for me.) Just goes to show that slow starts don't mean powerhouse middles and ends. :)

A few months after I first sampled the first novel in the series, the delightful and surely most handsome Steve Trower, owner of odd green vehicle and fellow admirer of LIFE ON MARS, reviewed it. Read it here.

Val asks this question prompted by the story: So, this is a Christian novel, but is the concept of future human perfection (outside of heaven itself) really a Christian idea? (And I love that she's gone red. Mmm. Red.)

For more on the theology of the novels, read "Puritans in Space." (A pretty cool title) He has taken post-millenial thinking and fashioned a space saga from it. I'm pre-millenial myself, but there is that whole loosing of Satan at the end of the millenium that seems to fit the premise of the Farholme novels. After all, a time of great peace and holiness followed by the re-introduction (however briefly) of evil before it is banished for all time. And it does harken to Eden, as well. Innocence tarnished by evil's intrusion is ever so Biblical.

I'll leave y'all with this from Chris:

We always need to be prepared for the possibility that the King may return at any time. Our systems may all be wrong. Yet I passionately believe that evangelical Christians need to balance the view of the possible imminent return of the Lord with a vision for the future that includes the possibility – even the probability – that the Church will triumph. If we have no vision for the future, then we cannot complain if our future is hijacked by others.

~

Having a vision for the present AND future is no doubt why we enjoy SF and CSF, and even write it ourselves. If this story sounds up your reading alley, do purchase it and support the author and his creative endeavors.

If you'd like to sample the novel, my budget allows me to give away one copy of the first novel: The Shadow at Evening. Just leave a comment under this post saying why you want it and committing to reviewing it (on amazon or CBD or on your blog) by end of April. I'll pick a name at random, unless I get only one entry. :)

Behold, my tourmates:

Brandon Barr
Jim Black
Justin Boyer
Valerie Comer
CSFF Blog Tour
Gene Curtis
D. G. D. Davidson
Janey DeMeo
Jeff Draper
April Erwin
Marcus Goodyear
Rebecca Grabill
Jill Hart
Katie Hart
Michael Heald
Timothy Hicks
Christopher Hopper
Heather R. Hunt
Jason Joyner
Kait
Carol Keen
Mike Lynch
Margaret
Rachel Marks
Shannon McNear
Melissa Meeks
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Mirtika or Mir's Here
Pamela Morrisson
Eve Nielsen
John W. Otte
John Ottinger
Deena Peterson
Rachelle
Steve Rice
Ashley Rutherford
Chawna Schroeder
James Somers
Rachelle Sperling
Donna Swanson
Steve Trower
Speculative Faith
Robert Treskillard
Jason Waguespac
Laura Williams
Timothy Wise

Buy the books:

4 comments:

rebeccagrabill said...

No need to enter me (I have a copy. Or rather, I don't, but really I do).

But wow, a year and a half! The prologue only made me set it down for two weeks. Of course, I knew the tour was coming, so...

It does get better. Really.

Christopher Hopper said...

Mmmm...Steve Trower! Love that guy! We exchanged books and I'm trying to get some time to read his (between reviewing others for *work*).

Enjoyed Walley, though indeed a very slow lead in (to the tune of about 150 pages) and not the "brain candy" that Kait likes (love that phrase!).

CH

David Meigs said...

Mir - I'm just stopping by before it's too late and wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Mirtika said...

Thanks, y'all. And David, it was indeed happy, if way overfed. :D

Self-Indulgent, Food Hungover Mir