Thursday, December 13, 2007

Quick Update on Eyes and Stuff

The surgery went well.

My post-op check-up was good.

Baruch HaShem!

I have the expected haloes and starbursts, but no complication. I'm being careful, using my meds, not touching my eyes. I can't wash my face for A WEEK, and I have gunk stuck to my upper lashes, so that's gross. I can clean it from the corner and the lower safely (as the optometrist showed me), but I gotta live with the upper gunk for a spell. I have to sleep with goggles (and I've been sleeping sitting up on the couch), and wear safety glasses while doing chores like dishwashing and stuff, so nothing splashes in the eye during the first critical week of healing. (I'll wear them for a month, just to be on the safe side.)

I haven't showered since Sunday. Just sponge baths with the safety glasses on. I don't want to do anything to compromise the cornea or the flap. God's been good, controlling my allergies in the most amazing way, so that I have no had the usual itchy eyes and desire to rub them constantly. I itch elsewhere, but that's par for the course. I'm a dermatitis prone, itchy girl.

I am getting used to modified monovision (one eye corrected for mid-range use, so that I can see beyond arm's length (computer monitor, television) and one eye corrected for distance (so I can drive and see the trees, sky, etc). That means no perfect vision for everything, but decent vision for most. I will need reading glasses (and that was expected, since middle-aged folks gotta deal with presbyopia). I didn't get full mono (which lets you read until your eyes age some more, so a few years without reading glasses), cause I was afraid I'd be one NOT to adapt to full monovision.

Eyes get tired fast, so I'll leave this update as is. I"m already squinting at the light.

I'll get some good prescription reading glasses when my eyes stabilize. Until then, I bought two pairs of cheap generic ones at STAPLES. They kinda suck, but they'll do. Until then, my reading is seriously hampered. (Previous to surgery, I could see perfectly up to about six, seven inches from my face, so I could read all day, no problem. Couldn't see anything else!)

Thank you heartily to all who prayed.

ChrisD, if you haven't emailed me with the info for the cd yet, please do. John already got his.

Ta...

5 comments:

Heather said...

Glad it went well.
But not washing my face would kill me! I love that feeling right before going to bed.

Suzan Robertson said...

Glad you're doing well. I've been praying.

I have monovision contacts for a couple of years and I'm used to them now.

Merry Christmas!

Selena said...

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well.

rebeccagrabill said...

Mir, praying that your eyes may be opened (har har) in the shower, once they're healed of course.

Shannon said...

Thanks for the update, sweetie! I'll keep praying for the adjusting ...