Thursday, November 08, 2007

Consider THE BOOK OF JOBY

I haven't read it. But I'm intrigued by the fact that this fantasy novel, which has several reviewers (on amazon and elsewhere) stating that it shows the palpable love of God, is published by...Tor, a major SF publisher.

You may want to take a good look at THE BOOK OF JOBY, and see if this is a book you want to support with your hard-earned moolah in order to send the message, "Yes, let Christian themes be discussed, and let Lucifer be seen as evil, and let God and His love play a real part in the human struggle."

John C. "Boy Can I Tell Story" Wright's recommendation is enough for me:

"The Book of Joby should have been called the Book of Joy. The magic of childhood, the magic of Camelot, the grand mystery of Creation, the tears of humanity, the petty cruelties of Hell, all are within these leaves. From schoolboy bullies to homeless shelters to an enchanted hometown where time stands still, from shy first love to tragedy and death…Mark Ferrari weaves his spell." --John C. Wright


Read an excerpt.

Available in paperback and hardcover:

7 comments:

CaroleMcDonnell said...

Hi Mir:

Yeah, Tia did a great tour of it on Fantasy Debut's post on Book of Joby.

Tor does some great Christian-themed book. The Necessary Beggar and Effelheim, for instance. There's also another Scripture-themed story called "God's Demon" which is about a demon seeking redemption. Don't remember if Tor published that.

So yeah, it looks as if some of the seculars are open to Christian stories. The thing is to not be obviously preachy about it. I honestly think that some seculars don't hate us as much as we think they do. Of course some do. ::snicker:: But we Christians just have to decide if we want to sing to the choir or be true ambassadors who learn how to behave and write and act like Romans when we are in Rome.-C

Mirtika said...

I bought both of those months ago--ie, Palwick's and Flynn's--but they remain on my TBR piles (which are totally out of control and have taken over my house!)

Mir

Mirtika said...

Oh, and I suspect if the stories have an air compatible with liberal Christianity, that's acceptable. I doubt a more conservative (political) voice would be welcome.

Mir

Valerie Comer said...

Oh, Mir, you're going to be the death of my Amazon account yet.

Quote:"“Break a leg on them,” Joby scoffed quietly, stooping to pick up his things. She always said that, as if people were out there snapping limbs off on every little thing they passed. His toys, his books, his trading cards, even his underwear? Heaving a long-suffering sigh, he went back to the fence, dragging his cape behind him. God help his mother if she ever got into a real battle. She’d find out in a hurry how much more damage a mace could do than any pair of underpants she’d ever seen."

I thought I'd die laughing!

CaroleMcDonnell said...

Hi Mir:

The way I figure it...we'll just push those boundaries and see what breaks. I managed to get two pro-life comments into Wind Follower. So who knows?

Yeah, you ought to see the pile of books under my desk.

-C

Mirtika said...

Under your desk? We have em under and over every surface. We're lucky we have places to sit.

My name is Mir. I'm a bookaholic. I need the 12 steps.... :)

Mir

Mirtika said...

Val, underwear is DANGEROUS!!!!! Well, mine are.:)

Mir