Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Health Update: Liver Gone Whack...
But I Bought Therapeutic Comic Books


Well, visited with my endocrinologist today, wearing my trademark black-n-red scheme (black lace top, red bangle and red purse, etc). And bold NARS "Shanghai Express" red lipstick. I needed comfort clothing and comfort colors. I knew the lab results would suck, since my G.P. called my house yesterday saying, basically, "I need you to make an appointment."

Urp.

She adjusted my thyroid med strength, and the liver enzymes were elevated. Third time in 3.5 years this happened. The first time it was when my mom was dying, and I packed on over 30 pounds in 8 months. The second was when I was having bad side effects from a statin drug for my cholesterol (had horrible muscle pains and my liver was being affected). Off the drug, liver got okay, but an ultrasound confirmed "fatty liver". This is the third time, and it may be indicative of me creeping into NAFLD territory. I'll be monitored.

I'm a human foie gras sample.

Recommended I see a shrink to see how they can ameliorate my periodic depressions, which make losing weight harder and add to the stress (which I don't need.) She had given me an Rx for Cymbalta last year, and I had filled it, but the side effects I read about scared me out of taking it. I just rode out the blue phase. (Depression sucks, in case ya didn't know.) Thankfully, my sugaris perfect (including the A1c, which had been taking a turn for the worse a couple years ago, but which I beat back by modifying how I ate so that my glucose didn't go wacky.)

It was that last big bout of depression that probably inspired the current WIP, which features more than one character with depressive issues.

I see my primary M.D. on Friday, and we'll have to be monitoring the liver and thyroid.

I noticed a nutritionist set up shop around the corner, next to a neuropsychologist and a doctor of osteopathy (who I visited about 10 years ago to get a second op on my thyroid issues). I think I'll pay the R.D. a visit.

I just spent 45 bucks on six quarts of assorted organic, fresh-squeezed fruit and veggie juices, and I just downed the fresh V6 (beets, carrots, celery, spinach, parsley, tomato). It wasn't bad. I have celery breath. :)

I'll be back on a diet, starting NOW. I'll be very cranky, could be.

I consoled myself with 150 bucks of comics from Zaldiva. The owner (was his name Jeremy? Huh, forget) and his wife are just gorgeous and friendly. The place is clean and nicely organized. Spacious (unlike some comics shops which are claustrophobically laid-out and jammed.)

Got a bunch of stuff. Volume 1 (bound edition) of BONE, first two bound of GIRLS, first two bound of SWAMP THING, couple bound volumes of BPRD, first bound of Y: The Last Man, first volume of the bound ANGEL, and some others I forget right now. Also bought my sister's Christmas ornament (a tradition. I get her one every year.) If you're in the Fort Lauderdale area, give Zaldiva a visit. Plus, they were playing tres cool music (GRAVITY FALLS).

And I came home, where, about 2 minutes after I arrive, the UPS guy delivers my copy of BLACK CHERRY by Doug TenNapel, which I had preordered on amazon a while back.

Graphic novel and comic book goodness abounds. (I am duly cheered up.)

In case you have the wish to pray for me, there ya go. THANKS.

6 comments:

Carmen Andres said...

oiy. mir, take care, okay? i do like the paths you take to comfort, though :) love and prayers and blessings shooting your way, carmen

Mirtika said...

Thanks, Miz C. I love when people pray!

Mir

Josh said...

Praying, Mir.

Valerie Comer said...

Take care of yourself--or better yet, let God do it.

Selena said...

Oh, Mir. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I'll be praying for you.

Mirtika said...

Thanks, Joshie, Val, and Selena. Val, you're right. God will help me overcome. Muah to y'all.

Mir