Friday, August 03, 2007

Born on the Sabbath and the "Sabbath"

I was born via Caesarian section on a Saturday, the Biblical sabbath.

I'm a Shabbetai. Heh.

Here's something from the Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Shabbath:

He who is born on the Sabbath will die on the Sabbath, because the great day of the Sabbath was desecrated on his account. Raba son of R. Shila observed: And he shall be called a great and holy man


While I would love to be called a great and holy woman, I'd have to play some serious catch-up to earn that designation. What unadulterated holiness I lay claim to is all from the grace and generosity of God through Jesus Christ. Personally, I'm still a wreck of a work in progress and the word "great" can't be applied to moi.

My hubby was born on a Sunday, the later "sabbath," and the one used in the Mother Goose nursery rhyme about the children born on different days of the week.

Well, Sunday definitel fits my hubby:
"But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay."


(Er, traditional meaning of the last, natch.)

We're a Weekend couple!

So, on what day of the week were YOU born? And are you fair of face or full of woe or do you just have far to go?

(And if you wanna see headlines from the week of your birth, GO HERE. Might help with your story characters, eh, in a small way.)

No comments: