Friday, July 20, 2007

The Movie I'd See This Weekend If I Wasn't Gonna Be Reading DEATHLY HALLOWS


Danny Boyle's SF film SUNSHINE is here.

And Gabriel McKee has a terrific review up that will surely tempt you to go see it. It did ME!

I'm not just an SF flick fan, I'm a Boyle flick fan, which has me extra excited. (If his name isn't familiar, think TRAINSPOTTING and MILLIONS and 28 DAYS LATER and SHALLOW GRAVE--the flick that introduced me to the scrumptious Ewan "Call be Obi Wan" McGregor and the terrifically-talented and homely-but-sexy Chris "Doctor Who" Eccleston.)

Reading McKee's review makes me think this film will be a great go-for-pizza or hit-Starbucks-for-lattes and discuss the ending sort of movie:

In the introduction to the script book for Sunshine, screenwriter Alex Garland states that he and director Danny Boyle had opposite interpretations of the film's spirituality. Garland intended the film to be a story about atheism and an illustration of the folly of mysticism and irrationality. Boyle, on the other hand, believed that film's scientific mission is, in fact, a mystical quest. This sort of disagreement would drive many a screenwriter mad, but Garland offers an insightful statement on the matter:

"I didn't see this as a major problem, because the difference in our approach wasn't in conflict with the way in which the story would be told. The two interpretations that could be made from the narrative were the same two interpretations that could be made from the world around us. In that respect, perhaps the difference was even appropriate."


McKee also offers the link to THIS NIFTY REVIEW.

Some of this disagreement shows through in the film, but thankfully it takes the form of complexity rather than confusion. The film's characters embody different approaches to the film's mystical themes, with ample room for viewers to draw their own conclusions.


And McKee adds this:

There are no easy answers in Sunshine, which is part of what makes it such an enjoyable film—it's happy to be complex. It's a good thing that Danny Boyle countered the atheism Alex Garland saw in his screenplay—the movie thrives on the multiplicity of its attitudes.


I like that. Sometimes, easy answers are fine. But, sometimes, easy answers just feel preachy in films and novels. And even atheist preach, so that's not a slam at religious folks, obviously. I fall into that trap myself a lot: wanting to just thrust the answers out there. I need to learn to work with more subtlety and to allow for mystery in my own work.

Of course, I'm not ashamed ot admit that it's that whole a "100% insane last act" that Peet Gelderblom refers to that really makes me wanna pay for a theater ticket ASAP. But this is Friday: Monk/Psyche night. Hubby and I order in Italian and we get ready to laugh. And tomorrow, as soon as UPS delivers, I'm booked, literally.

This is a Harry weekend.

Maybe next is a SUNSHINE one.

~

Edited to Add: Thanks to our dear Claw-Man, this delightful bit of puppet-singing silliness.

No comments: