Wednesday, June 27, 2007

New Kid Coming To the Faith in Fiction Neighborhood: THIRD ORDER Mag

Thanks to the delightful E.H. for a link to a new publication accepting fiction dealing with faith (and not in an anti-religious way a la Pullman). A page is up with guidelines for THIRD ORDER MAGAZINE, but here's a taste:

Religion is personal and societal; it changes single souls and entire worlds. The ways of God are not always easy or explainable. The way faith tells us to go is not always the way we expected. At Third Order Magazine, we're interested in exploring those dynamics. We're less DaVinci Code and more Flannery O'Connor -- with, of course, the occasional extraterrestrial.


Payment is modest, but the vision sounds quite generous. The first edition is expected to roll out in September.

The editor is Karen Osborne, and you can visit her site here. I wish her great blessings and success with this project. Her guidelines sound tres cool.

If you're not familiar with the term "third order," then you probably aren't Catholic. My mom was a member of the third order of St. Francis. She had the scapular, cord, brown habit, and she sure prayed much, adored animals and flowering nature, and did many works of mercy, so her heart was always "Franciscan." So, to this day, I have a very soft spot for St. Francis and St. Clare, even though I no longer belong to the R.C. church. My mom was a very simple, very humble woman, and I'm sure if I were still R.C., I'd have followed her into some third order, probably the Franciscan. (I tried the Legion of Mary, and I can say that, no that wasn't for me. My eldest sister likes it.) The third order of St. Francis meshed with my mom's personality, and she certainly maintained an air of intercession, penitence, simplicity, egalitarianism, and service to the sick and needy all the days of her life.

So, hey, looky there, the title of a magazine just gave me a nice flashback to my mom in those events (I can't even remember which or why) when she wore her full third order habit.

~

No comments: