Thursday, May 10, 2007

Weigh-In: McDonald's Southwest Salad

I've heard the buzz on this--the commercials, some online chatter--and it seems to be a dieter hit.

Anyone out there tried it?

I can't remember the last time I visited McD's. I'm just not wild about their food. And the last time--a few years ago--I had a salad there, it sucked.

But, I may go back to try this one. I think the clincher phrase in the ad for me was "cilantro lime". I can dig cilantro and lime. Mmmm.

So, if you've tried it, lemme know what you thought.

Here are the stats on it, courtesy of Diet Detective, who tagged the dish as a "calorie bargain"--although that bit about "liquid margarine" worries me (ie trans fats?) and the sodium is pretty high:

Ingredients: Salad Mix, Grilled Chicken Breast Filet, Southwest Vegetable
Blend, Cilantro Lime Glaze, Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese, Limes, Chili Lime
Tortilla Strips, Liquid Margarine

Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
320 calories
9g fat
30g carb
30g protein
7g fiber
970mg sodium

Note that this calorie count doesn't include dressing or
croutons. So skip the Butter Garlic Croutons, which are 60
calories. And ask for Newman's Own® Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette or
Newman's Own® Low Fat Family Recipe Italian Dressing--which have about half the
calories of the creamy dressing that the salad usually comes with.

4 comments:

Valerie Comer said...

If I'm remembering it correctly, I was turned off because the chicken was deep-fried so I had whatever other salad they had where the chicken wasn't. Which was an okay salad. (Humor me, it was months ago--we don't have a local MickeyD) The next time I thought, I'd REALLY like to try SW, so I asked them if they'd swap out the deep-fried chicken for grilled, and they did, and it was great. Don't know if every location would do that.

Angie said...

I just had one today--quite spicy! But then again, I cannot handle too much heat! When I ordered, they asked "Crispy or grilled?"--so shouldn't be a problem to get grilled. Oh, and I used the Southwestern dressing that came with it--100 calories per pouch.

***CCC*** said...

I have become incredibly hooked on this thing...although I try to be careful because of the sodium.

I've always been able to get it grilled and you don't even need the whole packet of dressing to make it palatable.

I'm following WW and on their plan, it's less than 10 points. I'll take that any day for a good, filling lunch.

Great blog, btw!

Anonymous said...

OMG! This salad is SOOOOOOOOO YUMMY! I eat it like 3 times a week! To me it doesn't feel like I'm eating healthy! It feels like I'm being naughty and eating my dessert first! haha I love it and would recommend it to EVERYONE! :-)