Friday, May 04, 2007

Spec Faith Friday Post: Lady in the Water


Archetypes and Spiritual Gifts in LADY IN THE WATER: The Story that Saves A Life
:


I finally got around to catching M. Night Shyamalan's much reviled LADY IN THE WATER. Guess what? I had a good time watching it. I think I was sufficiently snagged by Cleveland Heep, the protagonist, that I cared about the outcome to his story (pun intended), that I could suspend hypercriticism of the later flaws in the tale and weak characterization of secondaries. There's a lesson there, I think: Give the reader/watcher a sympathetic character, and that will cover a multitude of story sins. The other thing that kept me intrigued was the use of classic types, types familiar from fairy tales and legend and myth and fantasy. For an SF-lover like me, just throw an archetypal sounding character at me, and I'm gonna want to see what you do with it.

LOTS OF SPOILERS. If you haven't seen the film and want to remain ignorant, proceed no further.

No comments: