Tuesday, May 29, 2007

SF Blended Title Meme: Auto-Tagging Alert

As many of you know, I'm really picky about the memes that I choose to participate in. I hate, generally, being tagged.

However, if you're an SF fan, you may enjoy this one. And, in keeping with the format John of SF Signal set up, well, heh-heh, read on:


The idea is to blend two book titles together by using the last word of one title and the first word of the second title. If you want, you can blend the authors' names too.


Stranger in a Strange Land That Time Forgot by Robert A. Rice Burroughs
Ender's Game of Thrones by Orson Scott R.R. Martin
A Deepness in the Skylark of Space by Vernor E.E. Smith
Old Man's War of the Worlds by H.G. Scalzi
American Gods of Red Mars by Neil Stanley Rice Burroughs

Tagging others is hard when there are so many to choose from. So, if you are reading this, consider yourself tagged.


Okay, here are mine. I changed the rules for mine. (So, sue me.) Instead of perfectly blending, such as having one title plus the other title flow seamlessly into the other, I smooshed them up in a less perfect, but for me, more fun manner. Although granted, I did do a couple in the standard rule way. I am vast, I contain a multitude of silliness. Here we go:

NEVERENDING DUNE by Frank Ende
(which also says something about how I feel about the sequels plus sequels plus prequel)

NINE TITANS OF CHAOS IN AMBER by John C. Zelazny

SEEKER OF THE DEAD by Orson Scott McDevitt

SPIN DOCTOR BLOODMONEY by Robert Charles K. Dick

PARABLE OF THE LAST HAWK by Octavia Asaro

WHEN GRAVITY FAILS, THE FALLING WOMAN by Pat Effinger

LORD OF THE RINGWORLD by J.R.R. Niven

STRANGER IN A STRANGE WAY STATION by Clifford D. Heinlein

THE SHEEP STAND AND LOOK UP ON ZANZIBAR by John John Brunner

SOLDIER OF THE MISTS OF AVALON by Marion Zimmer Wolfe

THE HERO AND THE CROWN OF STARS by Kate McKinley

THE ANUBIS GATES OF HELL by Susan Powers

DANGEROUS DANDELION WINE by Harlan Bradbury

TITUS ALONE AGAINST TOMORROW by Mervyn Ellison

THE PHOENIX AND THE MIRROR OF HER DREAMS by Avram Donaldson

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE UPON THE DEEP by George R.R. Vinge


Okay, your turn.

And you get bonus Mir points for keeping it to SF, but feel free to use the romance or mystery or Western or other cool genre. If you create some blended titles, drop me a note here so I can go check it out.

hat tip also to Literary Compass

6 comments:

Nick Senger said...

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE UPON THE DEEP by George R.R. Vinge

I like it!

Charles said...

On that same "note" here are some Sci-Fi band names:

Jefferson Starship Troopers

Rage Against the Time Machine

Speaker for the Grateful Dead

Slaughterhouse Maroon Five

M. C. Lucifer's Hammer

The Demolished Man or Astro Man

Green Day Million

Eve said...

Funny Mir!

Mirtika said...

Honey, those were good! (note: Charles is my beloved spouse).

Thanks Eve and Nick! This is one fun meme. Some of them get kinda ponderous. This is just my kind.

Mir

Daniel Ausema said...

F&SF held this as a contest recently--their requirements were that only one had to be from the spec-fic realm, and the other could be book or movie or TV show...whatever. In that entrants had to give a plot synopsis as well, which was a lot of fun for some. Let's see if I remember some of my entries...

The Old Man and the Dune

Nine Princes of Ambergris (OK, Ambergris isn't the title of a book, but it's the name of one of the coolest settings in speculative fiction today)

Emerald City of Saint and Madmen

Perdido Street Station Agent

and my favorite: Riddley Walker, Texas Ranger

Mirtika said...

Oh, Riddley Walker, Texas Ranger is a great one. (Not that I read the novel or watched the show, but, ya know.)

I did enjoy The Station Agent, so I love that you found a blend for it. A good one! (I'm not a Mieville fan...Trotskyites, ugh.)

Mir