Friday, May 11, 2007

No SF/Visionary Christy Award This Year?

It's one of those weeks when I think I'm wasting my time, keystrokes, and breath working to get more acceptance of SF in the CBA, and, to add heft to my grumbly cloud, here comes the list of Christy Award nominees and THERE IS NO SF CATEGORY THIS YEAR. Talk about raining on my fictional parade.

Okay, maybe there's a really good, sound reason and it's just not public--or I missed it.

But maybe it's just another kick in the teeth to the Christians who enjoy reading and writing SF.

I have to go growl at something now.

4 comments:

John said...

Just to point out a small silver lining, at least the young adult category included "The Way of the Wilderking." Even though it's not sci-fi (which, I agree, is criminally underrepresented in CBA), it's fantasy.

Perhaps we can take this as a sign that the next generation of Christian readers will be more open to speculative fiction and we'll finally see sci-fi take its place in the CBA constellation.

Josh said...

Here's to hoping it's not just an overlook of the entire genre, and more a classification of it with what others might consider "literature." That bein said, maybe it ups the ante on the level of quality required for a work to be noticed.

Jason said...

Hey, for consolation there's a "lit" category - as in chick-lit, mom-lit...

*Jason stands back to watch the fireworks in Florida from Idaho ;-)*

Katie Hart said...

I was kinda ticked when I noticed that, too. One thought - perhaps they didn't get enough entries for that category. I believe I read something about them dropping a category if that was the case . . .

Let's just hope they have numerous SFF entries this year (though Karen Hancock could very well win her fifth Christy).