Thursday, April 19, 2007

What Rebecca Germany Wants

If you write Christian romance, you'll want to take a look at the post over at Edit Cafe called "Editors' Panel." In it, Becky Germany (of Barbour/Heartsong) give you a bloggy version of an editors' panel at a writing conference. She states what she's looking for:

If I were at a conference with you, I would most likely be sitting on an editor’s panel, answering questions about what I’m currently looking to buy in fiction. My needs for full-length fiction really haven’t changed in the last year. I want broad appeal topics with strong romantic plots. (I wouldn’t classify our books as women’s fiction but romances.) For our readers, settings have a strong appeal, so we use location in marketing a story. We also find that our buyers have continued interest in historicals with American settings. I like to see historical events play out alongside the romance. (Carol Cox’s An Affair to Remember series is a good example of weaving history into a story almost like it was another character.) I’m most likely to look at historicals from the 19th century. The readers that our books seem to connect with are those who are seeking a respite from the fast pace of modern life.


And if you haven't visited Edit Cafe, why not stop by and see what Becky, Susan, and Joanne--all Barbour editors--have to blog about.

No comments: