Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"They Threw Their Daughters into the Sea"

Since it's still National Poetry Month, let me send you over to Goblin Fruit, where the Spring 2007 issue is now up and full of goblinish delights.

I turn your attention to one to start with: "They Threw Their Daughters Into The Sea" by Karen A. Romanko, which has this stanza:

The childless sea embraced the castoffs,
carrying them on currents into his heart
until the foundlings forgot how to breathe


Here is Karen's description of how the poem's title came to her:

"Daughters" had an interesting birth. On July 4, 2006, I decided to take a late afternoon nap, having slept poorly the night before. It seemed like I'd been out only seconds, when some fireworks went off on the street, and I awoke with a start. But I'd had enough time to have a short dream, and in that dream I was on a boat with fellow poet and editor David Kopaska-Merkel, whom I've never met in person, but know only virtually. In the dream, David and I were on a boat and it was very dark. David said, "They threw their daughters into the sea," and then I woke up with the fireworks. I thought, that's a poem title, if I ever heard one, and I ran to write it down. The result is now appearing at Goblin Fruit.


JoSelle Vanderhooft's "Glass and Ashes"--a Cinderella poem--begins thusly:

She doesn't know why the fairy woman
brings her gifts as if this were Midsummer
and not another ash and lentils day
calculated like a rusted nail
to pierce.
But her hands are open,
her face honest as a church door
and Cinderella knows that apparitions
appear more vividly when heartstrings snap.



Also poems by Mir faves Samantha Henderson (whose form poem won the Faerie Queen Contest), Marcie L. Tentchoff, Catherynne Valente, Marge Simon and others.

Don't miss this springy Goblin Fruit

No comments: