Thursday, April 12, 2007

More About That Whole "Beauty" Thing

My long post on the Imus comment and ideas of beauty, etc.

Well, this ties in, in a way. I went to a blog entry where there was a pondering of beauty (in relation to women's fiction). (I normally write more rough-looking sort of heroes, not pretty boy, but in this particular work I'm on, he's handsome and the heroine is less so.)

Anyway, the blog also had a poll asking readers to vote on the person (of those included) they considered the most beautiful woman of the last century.

All were white women, Europeans or Euro-Americans. Women such as Nicole Kidman, Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, Christie Brinkley, Vivien Leigh, Angelina Joie, etc. Grace Kelly is leading with the greatest number of votes, followed by Isabella Rosellini, with Angelina Jolie in third. One comment refers to Grace Kelly as a "classic beauty". I think I need to really stop and ponder that. What does that mean, exactly? Classic as in Greek ideal, like statues?

How do you define a woman who is a "classic beauty"?

Anyway, I think it's a pity the list wasn't a tad more...integrated. Gong Li. Shakira Caine. Dorothy Dandridge. France Nguyen. Vanessa Wiliams. Nancy Kwan. Jennifer Lopez. Beverly Johnson. Shu Qi. Dihann Carroll. Aishwarya Rai. Iman. Roselyn Sanchez. Veronica Webb. Barbara Carrera. Naomi Campbell.

Any other "ethnic" lovelies you'd care to add to MY list? Aw, go on.

Oh, and if I had a Euro-beauties list, I'd certainly have Sophia Loren and Claudia Cardinale. I remember being quite young and wishing I looked like Sophia and Claudia. And Shakira Caine. First saw her in The Man Who Would Be King and just thought her amazing. And Nancy Kwan who I thought was just ubercute in The World of Suzy Wong.

Both their list and this one have stunning women. It's a shame, though, that when someone made that list, thinking up ten names, the only women that came to mind were of the same race. Hmm.

(Though race is a weird construct to me, we're sorta stuck with it for now and for who knows how long.)

I might as well start a list: Mir's Male Hotties. (Mir's hubby being a given.)

Gerard Butler
Antonio Banderas
Johnny Depp
Sendil Ramamurthy
Jet Li
Russell Crowe
Christian Bale
Djimon Hounsou
Daniele Liotti
Takeshi Kaneshiro
Shemar Moore
Sean Bean
Henry Ian Cusick
Jaime Camil
D.B. Woodside
Richard Armitage
James Marsters (but only as Spike)
Courtney Vance (the voice!!!!)
Adam Rodriguez (lips to rule a galaxy!)



You can add to that list, too. Go on. Give the hotties their props.

5 comments:

Selena said...

I think Morena Baccarin is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. She played Inarra on Firefly and Serenity. I'm not sure what her ethnicity is, but Wikipedia says "Italo-Brazlian."

I think she is beyond gorgeous. I can't tell you how many times I watched her and thought "Man, I wish I looked like that!" Plus, Inarra's clothes were always so exotic and luxurious looking. I was jealous. I admit it.

As for male hottie, I have a bit of a crush on Naveen Andrews who plays Sayid on Lost.

It just occurred to me that they both have dark skin and dark, curly hair. Hehe. I think I have hit upon my "type." ;)

Selena said...

But then, I also have a major crush on Spike. So, maybe that blows that theory.

Mirtika said...

Ooooh,Spikey!!

Morena is stunning. I guess I thought she was Italian.

Mir

Mirtika said...

One nice thing about Bride & Prejudice is that you get a bit of Naveen and Martin Henderson is no slouch in the hottie dept. either. White cutie/Dark Cutie. It's like a Thanksgiving hottie feast.

Mir

Selena said...

Bride & Prejudice was such a good movie!