Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8

Well, I"m about a month late. I missed getting my copy of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, #1 comic book. And the first printing sold out. (Naturally.)

Sigh.

But Elliot's post reminded me. And I went over to comment at SF gospel, where you can see some of the artwork and a prominent use of a Christian religious symbol: Demon: "Sssstupid human. I am no vampire. You think I fear the cross?" Buffy skewers the baddie's skull with said cross. Buffy: "Might wanna start."

Heh. Love dat.

As I commented at that site, despite Joss-babe being a secular sort of dude with no allegiance to God or Christ, he still manages to have potent moments like the one in "Beneath You," that amazing scene in the cemetery chapel at night. You see a Madonna and child outside. Inside, a huge cross at the altar area. Buffy finds out Spike regained his soul. Spike is clearly not in his right mind (or spirit), and is babbling like a madman, consumed with guilt and pain and confusion. Then Spike embraces the huge cross, hanging onto it for dear life, and says, "Can we rest now? Buffy, can we rest?"

Wow.

It's as if someone came across that verse in Matthew: "Come unto me, all ye who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Beautifully done.

Now, I need to call my local comics guy. Later...

EDITED TO ADD: Bummer. My local dealer is out of #1, and is getting new shipment of #2 today, after four. So, seeing the ridiculous prices on amazon.com for #1, I just went, ebayed it up, and already paid for my #1 issue (two copies, original and variant covers). I'll get my #2 from local guy later today or have him save me a copy for tomorrow. (Support your local comics dealer, when you can right?)

Got yours?

1 comment:

Carmen Andres said...

heh, i was in the bookstore the other night and walked past the comic book shelves on the way to the magazines and saw #1 out of the corner of my eye. i walked past, turned around, walked back and picked it up. couldn't resist. it's sitting on my "to blog" pile (which always never gets done). glad i'm not the only one! blessings.