Thursday, March 15, 2007

Motorcycle Ride Through Chernobyl

When you ask if they not afraid to die, they telling that at home they may die with radiation and in some other place they would definately die with home-sickness. They eat food from own gardens, drink milk of their caws and claim that they are healthy, but we can't get away from facts, only 400 of them left out of 3.500.
--Elena about those who continue to live in Chernobyl area

GHOST TOWN

I found this 27 chapter photo-report really cool. The gal, Elena, who takes her radiation counter and her Kawasaki through the deserted areas surrounding the disastrous power plant, offers plenty of photographs and some commentary on what she sees on her ride. Some of the pics are just laden with metaphor, no comment needed.

Her commentary is often quite delightful. You can tell English is not her first language, and that adds to the charm. I especially enjoyed her moments of humor, such as with the "prehistoric" horse herd. Or the free drinks necessary to get folks to turn out and vote in elections without choices. (Yeah, my relatives in Cuba know about that!)

4 comments:

MarkR said...

The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is a fascinating place to visit.

I visited the area for two days in June 2006 with a former resident of Pripyat. We toured the Chernobyl Plant (including the Reactor 4 control room), several of the abandoned villages, and Pripyat. I have posted a photo journal
of my trip at:

http://www.nikongear.com/Chernobyl/Chernobyl_1.htm

Eve Nielsen said...

The links no longer work.

Mirtika said...

Eve, I just clicked on the link "Ghost Town" and it worked. Then I clicked "beginning" at the website, and it worked. Hmmm.

Mir

Eve Nielsen said...

Mir,
I guess it's the prehistoric horses and the free drinks links that don't work-at least for me :)