Friday, March 09, 2007

It Was Twenty Years Ago Today...

The Joshua Tree is the fifth studio album by Irish rock band U2, released on March 9, 1987 on Island Records. It was produced by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. The album was massively successful, and is considered to have been U2's worldwide commercial breakthrough. In addition, it has often been praised by music critics as the band's best album and one of the best rock albums of all time.
--from Wikipedia
~
I want to run - I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside
I want to reach out and touch the flame
--from "Where the Streets Have No Name"

~
I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colours will bleed into one
Bleed into one
But yes, I'm still running
You broke the bonds and you loosed the chains
Carried the cross of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believe it
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
--from "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

~
See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I wait for you
--from "With or Without You"

~
So how does it feel to see the sky ripped open?
To see the rain through a gaping wound?
Pelting the women and children
Who run into the arms of America
--from "Bullet the Blue Sky"

~
I don't believe in painted roses or bleeding hearts
While bullets rape the night of the merciful
I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky
And the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill
We run like a river runs to the sea
We run like a river to the sea
--from "One Tree Hill"

1 comment:

Heather said...

Do you know how much I love U2? Happy birthday, Joshua Tree.