Monday, March 19, 2007

Christian Science Fiction & Fantasy Blog Tour:
Randy Ingermanson's DOUBLE VISION


The March 2007 edition of the Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy Blog tour focuses on CBA author Randy Ingermanson, particularly his novel DOUBLE VISION and his writing resources.

Today, I'll offer you some information on Randy and the novel. Later on, I'll review the assorted resources he offers for beginning, intermediate, and advanced fiction writers.

But first, an introduction to Randy: Randall Ingermanson, born 1958, is a Christian, a physicist, and a self-described computer geek. He also has published several novels. He's married, has three kids, and has this thing for helping other people learn to write better. His first novel, TRANSGRESSION, won a Christy, as did OXYGEN (with co-writer John Olson). His wife seems to be as brainy as Randy, so I expect their kids will be new Einsteins, Maxwells, and Newtons. (One can hope.)

Here is Randy's own description of DOUBLE VISION:

Double Vision is a contemporary romantic suspense novel. The leading man, Dillon Richard, is a brilliant engineer with Asperger's Syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism. Dillon's never had a girlfriend before. Now he's got two leading candidates . . . Rachel Meyers, girl genius biophysicist, is as free-spirited and loosey-goosey as Dillon is uptight and rigid. Keryn Wills, the company chief financial officer, is a mystery novelist who's got her eye on Dillon and who might have a chance -- if only Rachel weren't working with him on a secret quantum computing project that could break the standard encryption schemes. And oh yeah, plunge the world's financial institutions into chaos. Somebody Bad seems to know they're developing this new toy, and all of a sudden, Rachel, Keryn, and Dillon don't have time for a silly love triangle, because somebody is trying really hard to kill them.

DOUBLE VISION opens with this hook:

Keryn Wills was in the shower when she figured out how to kill Josh Trenton.


If that makes you want to read on, you can read the first three chapters online. Yep. That's right. Not one or two, but three whole chapters.

I bought the novel last summer, and promptly misplaced it in the chaos that is the Mir Home. I will find it again, I'm sure, unless there is a supermassive black hole in my library or living room, in which case, I'll need Randy to figure out the math for me on that one, so I can have some chance of locating it.

Here's an excerpt from a Focus on Fiction interview with Randy:

Focus: Your latest book, Double Vision, certainly addresses a few issues that both non-believers and believers face with Christianity. Can you tell us a little about your three main characters, Dillon, Keryn, and Rachel?

Randall Ingermanson: This was a really fun book for me to write. Dillon is a fairly rigid Christian, a genius engineer, a guy who’s never had a girlfriend because he’s been dealing all his life with Asperger’s Syndrome—a high-functioning form of autism. Now, with some counseling, he’s coming out of his shell, and he’s got two very nice ladies interested in him. And he’s just a bit na├»ve and clueless about how to deal with them.

Keryn is a Christian novelist who works with Dillon. She’s employed part time as Chief Financial Officer at the startup company where they both work. Keryn has a bit of a checkered past, but she’s a great lady for Dillon. She’s a little frustrated that he’s so dense, but at the same time, it’s very nice to be dating a guy who doesn’t have a long history with women.

Rachel is the loose wire in this circuit. She’s brilliant, sexy, exotic, flirtatious, and an agnostic. She was raised in a home with a Jewish father and a Christian mother and she is fed up with religion. Rachel has invented a quantum computing device that will be worth trillions of dollars if she and Dillon can bring it to market. They make a terrific team, but sparks soon start flying. Keryn has to mediate, and she really does not want Rachel and Dillon getting too close together.

The problem is that Somebody Nasty wants Rachel’s device. If Dillon and Keryn and Rachel can’t get along, then they are toast. It’s a gnarly little love triangle, and I didn’t know how it would turn out until the fourth draft.

Focus: Dillon really is a fascinating character. What prompted you to write about a hero with Asperger's Syndrome?

Randall Ingermanson: A friend who used to come to my church has Asperger’s Syndrome. He described it to me, and I thought it sounded fascinating. I did some research on it and realized that folks with Asperger’s are a very diverse and remarkable set of people. It’s been suggested that Einstein and Isaac Newton and Michelangelo had Asperger’s Syndrome. It’s possible—all three had amazing powers of concentration.

Autism is often made out to be weird and scary, but inside, we’re all just people. So I wanted to write a book that put my reader inside the skin of a character with Asperger’s and experience it all first hand. I hope I succeeded.

Focus: Two other burning questions I’ve got to ask about Double Vision: First, can you confirm your cameo appearance in the book as a cat sitter? And for the record, do you use a Mac or a PC?


Randall Ingermanson: Here are the facts: Keryn has a neighbor who’s a writer and stays up late working and is willing to go check on her cat at midnight when she’s afraid to go home. And that neighbor has a wife named Eunice and a cat named Zephyr. I write late at night, and my wife is named Eunice and my cat is named Zephyr. It’s an amazing coincidence, isn’t it?

As for the computers, I use a Mac at home and a PC at work. I’m fine with both—it’s that ambiguity theme playing in my life again.


Well, I hope you feel more acquainted with Randy and DOUBLE VISION. If the novel is tempting to you, do click my amazon link for it on my sidebar (scroll way down) and put some pennies in my amazon kitty. (It's underneath DRAGONSPELL and next to ENDER'S GAME and above PASSAGE)Thanks.


If you want more on this month's tour subject, or a different emphasis, or reviews on the novel, please visit my CSFF Blog Tourmates:

Nissa Annakindt , Wayne Thomas Batson, Jim Black , Grace Bridges, Jackie Castle, Valerie Comer, Karri Compton , CSFF Blog Tour, Gene Curtis, D. G. D. Davidson , Janey DeMeo, Tessa Edwards, April Erwin, Kameron M. Franklin, Linda Gilmore, Beth Goddard, Marcus Goodyear, Andrea Graham, Leathel Grody , Katie Hart, Sherrie Hibbs, Sharon Hinck, Christopher Hopper, Jason Joyner, Kait, Karen, Tina Kulesa, Kevin Lucia and The Bookshelf Reviews 2.0 - The Compendium, Rachel Marks, Shannon McNear, Rebecca LuElla Miller, Nicole , Eve Nielsen, John W. Otte, John Ottinger, Robin Parrish , Rachelle, Cheryl Russel, Hanna Sandvig, Mirtika Schultz, James Somers, Steve Trower, Speculative Faith, Daniel I. Weaver

5 comments:

Josh said...

Cool to see Randy highlighted here. I've been using that Snowflake method of his for pretty much every story I've done so far, at least to get my head into the book and figure out a rough outline. It works incredibly well for me, while allowing for a lot of flexibility at the same time. I recommend it to anyone who needs a little structure in their writing. Oh, and his writing/marketing newsletter is worth subscribing to as well.

Jackie Castle said...

I've used parts of it on a novel I'm working on and it's helped a lot. There's a part of me that likes to jump in and just write a book, but a practical part is raising her annoying head and telling me I need to plan more.

Boooo!

It's good we have people like Randy who help to make that planning more managable and less painful.

pixydust said...

I'm always amazed when I read authors like Randy and Jeff, whose tallent has been buried in CBA for so long.

Randy has an amazing gift for suspence and I highly recomend his stuff to everyone. I'm really excited we got to focus on him for the tour this month.

Go Snowflake! ;)

Becky said...

Rachel, you said the key thing, I think--his writing is for everyone. It is so accessible. That he includes some kind of twist—whether it is time travel, space travel, or the "what if" of the software business—makes his stories new and interesting, but certainly not "out there" beyond the general readership. Here's hoping he gets another book on the shelves soon.

Becky

the BookWyrm said...

I enjoyed DOUBLE VISION, but I had no idea that the first three chapters were available for preview online. I'll have to point my readers to them, also.

~Nicole