Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Cell Phone Karma:
A Video For Rude Cellular Chatters

I wish something like this happened to EVERY DANG PERSON WHO RUDELY USES SHOUTY VOICE TO BLAB ON AND ON AND ON INTO THEIR CELL PHONES IN NICE RESTAURANTS AND PLEASANT OUTDOOR CAFES AND THE CINEMA AND EVERYWHERE ELSE I AM WHERE I SHOULD NOT HEAR SHOUTING NEAR MY EARS!

Cell Phone Karma

It doesn't always have to be a squirrel. It could be a rabid pit bull, or a schizoid tomcat, or a hysterical giant palmetto bug, or a crazy bluejay. But, you get my drift.

(Yes, I have little patience with people who seem to need to be glued to their cell phones every second of every day, including while they're chomping away on lunch and dinner in public places and in the doctor's waiting room and while wheeling their carts up and down the supermarket, as if they're terrified of not having a conversation going on at all times, cause, wow, they might have to SHUT THE HELL UP and have a deep thought!)

Behold, my peeve. The cell phone abuser.

I actually have asked my hubby not to take calls when we eat out. A quick outgoing check in a sorta sotto voce that takes a few seconds, fine. But a full-fledged conversation, no. Meals are times to NOT WORK, to relax, to sit and read or think or have a nice chat with a real human being face-to-face, not in a machine. We work way too much in the US, and lunch times tend to be abbreviated. So, turn the dang thing off, stop working for 40 minutes or an hour, and just take it easy.

And stop shouting to your accountant or contractor or lawyer or client if you're in the booth next to me or in the theater seat behind me or across from me in the M.D.'s cramped waiting room, or one day, I might toss my iced tea or Coke Zero or urine sample right on your cell phone. Rude begets rude, baby.

Oh, and please rethink that obnoxoius hip-hop or heavy metal ringtone cause you're not Fergylicious and you sure don't want me to turn into St. Anger before your eyes.

~

~

3 comments:

Carmen Andres said...

omgoodness, i can't stop laughing from the youtube vidoe. ack.

er, would the old "battlestar galactica" theme be okay for a ringtone? or should i change it?

heh :)

BadMomma said...

My sister & I got into a huge debate over cell phone etiquette after a trip to the grocery store with her where she spent most of the time talking on her phone while shopping and in the car with me. It was as if I wasn't there. (I guess I don't have enough drama in my life to hold her interest!)
I had a small retail shop where cell phone abusers can be a real annoyance. I came up with some rules that I posted. She thought I would lose customers over it. It turns out that most people share the same pet-peeve.

Mirtika said...

Wow, my sister would hit me upside the head if I talked on the cellphone while we were out and about. I agree. If she's out with YOU, then she shouldn't be on the phone talking to other people.She should be talking to YOU.

And I like your shop rule. The truth is, no one minds a discreet call in a store or cafe, as long as its brief and pertinent and hot in "shouty voice". Sometimes, you may be shopping for someone, and just want to ask if they're a size X or Y, you forgot, or did they like peach or wanted more of a pink. As a business person, you probably wouldn't mind that at all. As a customer, I wouldn't mind that. It's when they start running off on and on and on loudly. Ah, well.


Mir