Monday, February 05, 2007

Xtian SF Artist of the Day: Duncan Long

He's been interviewed in tag-team fashion: Part one is over at The Lost Genre Guild, and part two is at Write and Whine. As someone who also writes, he has a thing or two to say on CSF:

I guess my bottom line is that there's merit to the concept that everything, each and every bit of what we do, belongs to the Lord, and therefore everything we do should be done for Him. That means I might be writing about the plight of, say, a prostitute in an ancient kingdom or faraway planet where the Gospel has never set foot, in the most godless society one could imagine, yet still my story can reflect the truths of right and wrong and morality without ever a mention of God being made. There is a wide-open field for the Christian writer, and I think that perhaps it is even more open for the Christian writer because he doesn't get locked into the idea that life is meaningless and that philosophy has come to a dead end. For the Christian there is hope, and that can make all the difference in how we face an otherwise hopeless situation.

I also feel there is a subtlety that is too often missing from Christian writing and I hope this will change in the next few years as well. There's a failure on the part of many Christian artists to be as wise as serpents while only being meek like sheep. There is a fear of approaching things from a realistic or even amoral viewpoint.


Good stuff in the interview.

The good VISUAL stuff--ie, the art--is at his website. There's a large collection of images to browse under several categories, such as NIGHT ART and VISITATION.I liked quite a few of the robot ones: "Dawn's Sacrifice," "The Unicyclist," "A Little Night Music." I liked the latter a lot, made me wish I could stick a website around it. :) Also liked the moodiness and the use of light in "Secret Knowledge." And those are just under NIGHT ART. Make sure you gete around to "Rapture," (rising golden0metallic bodies coming up out of the sea in a skeletal state, growing more substance as height is gained) "Choices" (two doors, two ways to go, very easy choice), "To Whom Does the Cyborg Pray" (which has a praying hands motif made futuristic), and "Lot's Wife" (mostly dark and not all that "artisty," but I still stopped a while there).

Under REBIRTH, I liked "A Good Man, What Can Find?" and the semi-surrealistic "Dancing Angels."

I had some trouble accessing the next and previous buttons for browsing the galleries on my second visit. I hope they work for you.

No comments: