Thursday, February 15, 2007

Twilight Princess: Tempts Even the Mir

I'm not a video game player. I'm almost an anti-video game player.

My delightful husband, boyish of soul, loves the things. He has tons of games. He watches G4TV. He's been to video game conventions. He designed a game for my wee nephew. He wrote a textbook on game testing.

When he says, "Hey, honey, wanna play this new game?" I say, "It's a video game. Do I ever want to play a video game?"

:::silence:::

I will admit that I played them when I was, oh, 21, 22. Pac Man. Joust. Frogger. But it was a brief and passing phase, and I much preferred pinball, at which I soundly sucked.

I will also admit that I caved a year or so ago and tried Katamari Damashi, because my booboo swore it was adorable and great fun and everyone at work loved it.

I didn't love it. I thought it was incredibly dumb. (I concede, however, that the little fella is, in fact, cute.)

But Elliot is all dizzy over this Zelda game called TWILIGHT PRINCESS.

Behold his frenzy:

The first few hours of play had me thinking "Well, this is pretty cool, but not cooler than the previous games." But then they introduce an amazing new feature, and then another and another...

It's like they were hepped up on caffeine at their brain-storming session and said: "Hey, we should have a feature where you turn into a wolf. Oh, and the underwater swimming has to be really good. And white water canoeing. And horse-back riding, and jousting, and protecting a moving carriage from marauders, and a humorous wild-west-style shootout, and a flying level, and ghosts and mummies and an ancient Egyptian level, and snowboarding, and an eerie abandoned mansion full of ice, and a giant temple with animated statues, and Yeti and let's make sure we include lots of references to previous games, but in a really cool way, oh, and how about a ton of revamped special weapons along with some new ones, and hanging upside down with special boots from things, and SUMO, yeah, we've got to have sumo, and we've got to make sure we utilize every dimension, and spice up the dungeon levels with some interesting plot twists, and make the players combine all sorts of tools and make them think really hard for some of these puzzles. And of course the graphics have to be superb."

And then the Recording Angel swooped down and forced them to live up to all of that, and more.

Once upon a time video games were just an amusing distraction, but somewhere along the way they, or at least the best ones, have been elevated to an art form, artistically and aesthetically brilliant in their own way. Twilight Princess is a great example of that evolution.


You know, if hubby got that one, I think I would actually try it.

And that almost scares me.

1 comment:

Elliot said...

:-) It is indeed awesome!

I finished it yesterday. The climatic fights are pretty dang cool. The game as a whole took about 42 hours to play through.

If you do play it, I would recommend having a walk-through handy. There's good ones available online. That way, if you can't solve a particular puzzle after about fifteen minutes or so, you can just get a hint. Same goes for bosses - occasionally one will trounce you and nothing you try works. Until you look it up and slap your forehead and say "D'oh! Of course!"

And I have to say I LOVED Katamari Damashi. Everbody Loves Katamari, the sequel, was even better.