Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Love Note & Some Verses
For Saint Valentine's Day

I am besotted with my husband. Have been since 1982.

It's not just cause he's tall and hot and has the legs of a demi-god and has green Magyar eyes and a guilesless smile and is possessed of a sweetness that does amazing things to my heart. No, he's also smart and makes me laugh a lot and he's musical and he's got an innocent soul and he deals with me even at my crankiest with infinite patience and he loves God.

That next to last one in the above list deserves some kind of global recognition, sort of like the Peace Prize, only it would be the Put Up With Mir Prize. That very last one, the "love God" bit, was crucial in my dating days. A dealbreaker. If a potential "someone special" didn't love God, he stopped being a potential "someone special."

But Charles is beyond special. He is it, The One. He will be The One until I breathe my last, and when I wake up in Paradise, he'll still be The One I love beyond all others beside THE ONE. Some things even death can't kill. I believe this is one of them.

So, I thank God for hubby. I thank Him a thousand thousand times.

Happy Valentine's Day Snookywumps. I love you.

Now, on to the versey goodness:

Love is from the infinite, and will remain until eternity.
The seeker of love escapes the chains of birth and death.
Tomorrow, when resurrection comes,
The heart that is not in love will fail the test.


~Rumi, trans. Shahram Shiva



The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.

Lovers don't finally meet somewhere,
they're in each other all along.


~Rumi, trans. Coleman Barks


My lover spoke and said to me, "Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me.
See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone.
Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come. The cooing of doves is heard in our land.
The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me."


~Song of Solomon - Chapter 2:10-13


How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes are doves..
How handsome you are, my lover! Oh, how charming! And our bed is verdant.


~Song of Solomon - Chapter 1:15-16


Like alchemy, it transformed my copper-like soul.
I searched for Him with a thousand hands,
He stretched out His arms and clutched my feet.


~Rumi, trans. Shahram Shiva



All your talk is worthless
When compared to one whisper
of the Beloved.


~by Rumi, trans. by Jonathan Star and Shahram Shiva



Defeated by Love
The sky was lit
by the splendor of the moon

So powerful
I fell to the ground

Your love
has made me sure

I am ready to forsake
this worldly life
and surrender
to the magnificence
of your Being


~by Rumi, trans. Fereydoun Kia


Love is an endless mystery,
for it has nothing else to explain it.


~Rabindranath Tagore


With the Beloved's water of life, no illness remains
In the Beloved's rose garden of union, no thorn remains.
They say there is a window from one heart to another
How can there be a window where no wall remains?


~Rumi, trans. Shahram Shiva



The success of love is in the loving
- it is not in the result of loving.


~Mother Teresa


When the sweet glance of my true love caught my eyes,
Like alchemy, it transformed my copper-like soul.

I searched for Him with a thousand hands,
He stretched out His arms and clutched my feet.


~Rumi, trans. Shahram Shiva


winter mist—
memories of embracing
and being embraced


~Masajo Suzuki


I know all about the ways of the heart – how it wants to be alive.

Love so needs to love
that it will endure almost anything, even abuse,
just to flicker for a moment. But the sky’s mouth is kind,
its song will never hurt you, for I sing those words.

What will our children do in the morning
if they do not see us
fly?

~by Rumi,trans Daniel Ladinsky


At every instant and from every side, resounds the call of Love:
We are going to sky, who wants to come with us?


~by Rumi,trans. Simone Fattal




firefly finds his love
they settle into grass
together


~Masajo Suzuki



To all those with beloveds: HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

To those unattached, still on the quest for true love, there is a Beloved who already loves you. He sends you flowers every day. Enjoy them and...HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

No comments: