Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Famous Author Then &, er, Then

This adorably cute little boy in his darling bootsies grew up to be one of my favorite writers.

Can you guess?

Hint 1: He's a fantasist.

Got it?

Hint 2: I think he's a hottie.

Not yet?

Hint 3: He's known for having thick, dark and often wild and crazy hair.

Oh, come on!

Hint 4: He's got a darling accent.

You must know by now.

Okay, as proof of hint two and most of hint 3, I offer the following pic of the author in 1994 in a...pumpkin patch?



Look at that gorgeous head of hair! (Facial hair's nice, too.)


See more pics and comments on them over at Susan Henderson's Lit Park.

Excuse me. I must go tell my swoony heart to be still now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive my snarkiness,

But the the thing that offends me most about conventional publishing today is its focus on celebrity, as opposed to ablitity, effort and inspiration.

Mirtika said...

Well, I think that besides being amusing and a hottie, Gaiman has ability and works very hard.

You may disagree, but I do think the guy is a creative and enjoyable writer.

And cute.

Mir

Anonymous said...

Would he be less interesting and marketable if he were ugly, or ordinary?

Mirtika said...

Actually, attractiveness of all sorts add to marketability in a world system that values beauty, sometimes above other, better qualities. :)

But I was reading and enjoying SANDMAN before I knew Gaiman was a cutie. (Well, cutie to me. I know a gal who thinks he's dorky looking.)

Alan Moore sells oodles. The guy is scary looking. Outright troll. I still have several of his things and he's still named among the most influential in the comics industry (and to those outside of that industry, such as Joss Whedon.)

For writers, the issue does come down to the product, since most of us don't recognize authors unless they become media celebrities.

Look at Stephen King. Outsells most. Looks like a nerd. :)

Mir

Anonymous said...

Have to disagree, or maybe I misunderstand. Publishing focuses on marketing names (i.e. celebrity) as opposed to marketing titles (i.e. product).

You or I given the latest S. King or N. G. novel would probably never see it published, or even read by an agent, unless we were very persistent and lucky, and even then it likely wouldn't sell (i.e. be sold).

It's easier and safer and cheaper to flog the same few names over and over than to try to find and then sell the very best work being produced (amongst all the crap). I understand it, I just don't like it, and rarely buy it.