Friday, December 08, 2006

Orhan Pamuk Defines "Writer"

A writer is someone who spends years patiently trying to discover the second being inside him, and the world that makes him who he is: when I speak of writing, what comes first to my mind is not a novel, a poem, or literary tradition, it is a person who shuts himself up in a room, sits down at a table, and alone, turns inward; amid its shadows, he builds a new world with words.
--Orhan Pamuk, winner of the 2006 Nobel Prize in Literature

(And one of the few Nobel Lit winners whose work I obtained prior to the prize announcement rather than after.)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

So, no one with kids can be a writer. Bummer. I mean, I'm never alone, I have no tables in the house that aren't taken up with "kid stuff", and every room with a door is occupied at any given time of day. Damn.

I guess that's like Annie Dillard's "Room with no view."

Rebecca said...

(I do like the quote, however. The idea of being a writer not equating with product, but with process. The act. Yet *another* to add to my Must Read list. Dammit again.)