Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Lost Room, Part Two: YOWZA!

Man, gets better 'n better!

This show is an example of how one can take so-called cliche elements and make them work. I've seen criticisms of quest stories where it's a "gather the magical objects" type plot. Well, this is that. But it's got a fresh feel and a lot of suspense and a very likable lead (which always helps!). Plus, bits of humor and some romance.

(I prefer folks not to be boinking after only knowing each other, like, days, but ya know...)

There's even the "person who didn't do the murder is glimpsed holding the murder weapon misunderstanding". Don't care. Works.

Tonight, we found out more about the weirdo Room 10 and what the Prime Object is. And we meet the whack jobs of The Order.

There are a couple of small details that tickled me. When The Tracker says she never touches the objects herself, just hunts them down, cause, you know, "those things'll kill you." And she says this as she's puffing a cigarette. Hah.

And then the moment when the protagonist asks The Legion chick where she is, that he needs to meet with her, and you see her click a picture of the door to psychiatric ward where her brother is semi-catatonic or whatever he is (due to Room 9). And then the well-edited segue of the hero coming through the door within seconds. Lovely shot.

And the Prime Object. The method they use to reveal it...Oh, man. Oh, man.

I wish I had come up with this story, and that's the biggest compliment I can give this new Sci Fi miniseries. Well, that and my hubby and I are glued to the TV when it's on! I don't even let him talk until the commercial. (And we usually jabber away all through shows, theorizing what's gonna happen next.)

I cannot wait for Wednesday's finale. I've got my theories and my game piece with my seven chosen objects. The Mir wouldn't mind winning 167K per annum for the next 30 years. :)

3 comments:

carmen said...

we came in on the mini-series last night. i should learn not to listen to critics (who basically panned this thing) because i too was pleasantly surprised. plus, you know, when formulas are given a new twist (who'd of thunk of a comb to stop time, and only for a few seconds) it makes it fresh. so, we've tivo'd number one and and number three and will watch at the end of the week. cheers -- and don't spill the end, heh.

Mirtika said...

I might spill something, so just don't read any Lost Room posts till after you see it. Post on it when you do!!!

Mir

Jim (The Bedford Review) Black said...

I watched parts 1 and 2 and loved them. This is one of the more addictive shows I have seen. I will have more comments after watching part 3(I recorded it to watch tonight).