Friday, December 08, 2006

Friday Five: The Christmas Edition

I've done the REVGALS Friday Five a couple of times. (They can be great fun.)

This one is pretty straightforward and less room for Mir antics:

1. A favorite 'secular' Christmas song.

2. Christmas song that chokes you up (maybe even in spite of yourself--the cheesier the better)

3. Christmas song that makes you want to stuff your ears with chestnuts roasted on an open fire.

4. The Twelve Days of Christmas: is there *any* redeeming value to that song? Discuss.

5. A favorite Christmas album


Oh, that's pretty easy, huh? My responses:

1. "Christmas Time Is Here"

*If you like Sarah McLachlan, this is her singing the song to a video fire. Relaxing. I also own the cd with Dianne Reeves singing it in jazzy splendor. You might also enjoy Diana Krall's version. I still prefer the original one best. Vince G. got it absolutely perfect the first time!

2. "Arbolito", cause my mom sang it with my sisters and me when she was alive. ::sniff::: The above one does it for me, too, cause it makes me terribly, terribly nostalgic of my Christmassy youth. (Runner up: "Breath of Heaven")

3. "Santa Baby" by Madonna. And I'm serious, I'd rather have a hot chestnut shoved in my ear than listen to that crap ever again in my whole span of sentient existence. If I were Empress of Earth, I'd have it stomped on, expunged, burned, erased, soaked in acid, pitched from the Empire State building, hammered by blacksmiths, buried, and banned from human lips for all time. In fact, I'd have whoever dared play it summarily shot.

Others I'd ban: "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" and "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer". Off with their metaphorical heads!

Conversely, my fave Christmas song by a "pop" musician is "Gabriel's Message" by Sting.

I would place among my general and consistent faves "The Coventry Carol" and "Pat-a-Pan" (and what lover of words wouldn't adore a song with "frolicsome" in the lyrics. How cool a word is that?) and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and "Do You Hear What I Hear" and "O Come, O Come, Immanuel" and "La Virgen Lava PaƱales" and "The Christmas Song." I actually love a lot of Christmas music.

4. Oh, sure. "The Twelve Days of Christmas" is excellent for developing counting skills in the young, as well as training young brains to memorize, especially with regard to courtly, musical, and zoological vocabularies. (Truth: I love to sing the alliterative bits--seven swans a-swiming, ten lords a leaping, drummers drumming, pipers piping...fun!) And true love is a grand, grand thing, especially if it comes accompanied by enough moolah to go on a wild gift-giving spree. (Note the sarcasm...)

5. A Charlie Brown Christmas. I never tire of it and it makes me feel six again.


Now, here's a more Mirathonish list challenge. Make up your answers to the Speculative Christmas Friday Five:

1. Make up a title for your "speculative" favorite Christmas song (ie, it's a fantasy or sci-fi holiday tune). Bonus points for creating a four-line stanza.
2. What is the title of your favorite Vogon Christmas poem, and that's, of course, using the word "favorite" quite loosely?
3. What is the Unalterable and Everlasting Intergalactic Christmas Music Edict of Star Year 4457888?
4. What is the Christmas Fairy's favorite color and why?
5. In THE BLIND SINGER OF THE SPACEWAYS DOES HOLIDAY FAVES, Rhysling concludes his most jolly original Christmas song how? (Fill in the blank below)
Hear reindeer!
How they snarl at your back
When you're baking a snack.
Feel the ribs that you roast;
Smell the cookies and toast;
Dance the Christmassy jig,
As you stuff suckling pig;
Sing the song! Bang a gong!
Blank blank blank, blank blank blank.
Blank blank blank
.


My own answers may be yet to come.

NOTE: The stupid "word verification" function seems to be off again. I couldn't post over at Elliot's. Egads. If you're having that trouble here, just come back later. Blogger usually sorts that out in an hour or few. HATE BETA BLOGGER!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Kievas said...

I'm not feeling creative enough to write my own, but here's a few Star Trek Christmas Carols!

chartreuseova said...

I'd give you my vote for Empress of the Earth...but I don't think it's an elected office.

Love your answers.

will smama said...

Well played!

Deb said...

My kids are arguing over the answers to your Mirathonish one... it keeps teens off the streets at any rate. I'll be back I suspect with a set of answers! :)

d

Shawna Renee said...

I love Diane Krall, and Charlie Brown Christmas is my favorite too. I'll have to wait till I get some sleep to answer your five, but I want to. Great questions!

Mirtika said...

STAR TREK CAROLS! I hadn't seen those. THANKS!!! Whoohoo.

Chartreuse, maybe in 2008, I can put in my bid for Earth Empress. Hey, I don't give up hope for the sceptre and totally tyrannical dotage.

Thanks, Will. Glad you enjoyed.

Deb, I'd love to see what teens do with it!

Shawnee, please, do. Exercise your speculative abilities to their holiday fullness. :) And anyone who loves A Charlie Brown Christmas album best is likely...around my age. ; )

Mir