Monday, December 11, 2006

Christian Science Fiction & Fantasy Blog Tour:
Kathryn Mackel & the Birthright Project


Mir is fussy. Mir is very, very fussy about Christian SF. I haven't really enjoyed a whole lot of it, sadly.

I did, however, very much enjoy Kathryn Mackel's OUTRIDERS, and said so in a review back in March. It takes a small bit of patience to get one's bearings at first, but then the reward is worth it.

THE BIRTHRIGHT PROJECT does what Christian science fantasy should: It has some scientific premise, it has a Christian heart, and it has the wonder of seeming magic, all mixed together in a story that comments on issues relevant to the world we live in today. It's good stuff.

And so, the Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy Blog Tour focuses this month on THE BIRTHRIGHT PROJECT by Mackel, and most specifically on the second novel, the follow-up to OUTRIDERS:

TRACKERS.

I'm gonna keep it simple today. It's just day one, after all, and many of us are commenting on the book. You'll be able to sample varying opinions. I will say this: Please try the books. Please. If you're serious about supporting nicely written and better quality CSF, support this project.

Mackel's primary rule of writing is revealed in an interview at Infuze Magazine:

What techniques do you use to keep the pages turning without resorting to gratuitous sex and violence -- and keep the Christian element without becoming preachy?

I always do a scripture study first. My primary rule for myself is that I must not contradict scripture, nor should I use horrific elements without serving a deep spiritual purpose in the story.

In regard to not being preachy, I'll hearken back to those verses from 1 Peter. I try to make my characters -- and their emotional, psychological, and spiritual issues -- realistic.


The Birthright Project novels have violence and horrors, and they have holiness and courage, and they have realistic struggles along with the wonders that speculative fiction allows.

And so the tour begins...

Visit my CSFFBT Tourmates:

Jim Black
Jackie Castle
Valerie Comer
Frank Creed
Gene Curtis
Chris Deanne
Janey DeMeo
Beth Goddard
Mark Goodyear
Todd Michael Greene
Karen Hancock
Elliot Hanowski
Katie Hart
Sherrie Hibbs
Sharon Hinck
Joleen Howell
Jason Joyner
Karen
Tina Kulesa
Kevin Lucia
The Bookshelf Reviews 2.0 - The Compendium
Terri Main
Rachel Marks
Shannon McNear
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Caleb Newell
Eve Nielsen
John Otte
Cheryl Russell
Hanna Sandvig
Mirtika Schultz
James Somers
Stuart Stockton
Steve Trower
Chris Walley
Daniel I. Weaver
Lost Genre Guild
Speculative Faith


I will be giving away a copy of TRACKERS during this tour. If you already have OUTRIDERS, or plan to purchase it, you'll be interested in entering. I will enter anyone who posts a comment answering the question: What type of hero are you? Your comment must be posted to one of the blog tour entries here at Mirathon.

Take the test here.

I'll reveal tomorrow which one I am.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Don't hate me, but I'm not a big sci-fi fan. I said, don't hate me. But, to support the cause, I passed the info on to my mother-in-law who is both an avid reader and a sci-fi fan. Does that make up for it?

Elliot said...

I'm glad you're fussy about CSFF, Mir. Sometimes I feel like a big ol' grinch when I critcally review CBA stuff, because I know these people are all struggling, starving artists trying to do their best for God and their fellow Christians.

At the same time, I can't just give 'em a pass for good intentions! So I'm glad I'm not the only fussy one.

Fortunately, Mackel doesn't need a free pass. She can stand on her own merits!

Becky said...

Mir, I agree with Elliot. It does no favor to the genre or the writers if we say something is good when it is not. Of course we all have different tastes, but whether or not science fantasy is someone's cup of tea, I think Mackel's writing skill is apparent!

The Infuze interview. I even knew that and forgot. See--you always include something top notch! ;-)

Becky

Becky said...

Oh, and I forgot, you should annouce your contest at ACFW! http://members.acfw.com/contestform.shtml

Becky

Matt Mikalatos said...

I'm a teacher on the hero quiz thing.

Mirtika said...

Thanks, Heather, and Elliot, and Becky.

Becky, I filled out the giveaway form, but I have no idea where that goes. Couldn't find a page with the info. Oh, well.

Matt, thanks for taking the test. This mean you want entry into the contest, eh?:)

Mir

nissa annakindt said...

Mir,
I think the CSFF Blog Tour is a great idea and so am participating. (If only I could afford all the great new books I'm learning about.)

I'm fussy about books too but in a different way. Some books that are supposed to be excellent fiction, well written and so on, I just don't care for, can't even get through the first chapter.

On the other hand, I just LOVE Salem Kirban's novel 666, even though Kirban's noveling skills are on a par with Britney Spears gravitas. Sometimes there is an honesty and an innocence and a unique charm in such books.

PS--- the opening scene of 666 may have influenced Stephen King's The Langoliers and the opening scene in the first Left Behind book.

pixy said...

I turned out to be a TEACHER. That was fun. I love those things. What a great idea to promo the book.

Mirtika said...

Two teachers, huh? :)

Nissa, I never read 666. I had, way back when in the 80's, some book about the Antichrist by Kirban. It seemed a tad sensationalistic? :-/

Okay, so Pixy and Matt, does this mean you want to be entered in the drawing. I dunno if you already have your TRACKERS copies.

Mir