Sunday, December 03, 2006

Beth Moore's Five Points for Tough Times

Head on over to Shannon's blog to read her entry on the Bible study she's doing, a Beth Moore one. (If you never heard of Beth Moore, well, you clearly aren't female or go to a Baptist or similar type church.)

Beth makes her studies accessbile and simple, but not shallow. They teach without pressure. They're systematic. It's user-friendly.

However, it's not my favorite type of study. I prefer a more manly approach, with lots of discussion, debate, archeology, linguistics, devil's advocacy, and muscular verbosity. When I see discussions of Torah in documentaries and films showing orthodox or Chassidic Jews,or a roudtable of scholars from Catholic or Reformed arenas--that's the sort of stuff I really like. Get into it. Wrestle with it. Yap it up. Take all day on one WORD if you must, to get to the illumination.

Videos/audios and fill-in the blanks type workbooks on a schedule, that's a legitimate system, and it works fine--I've seen its fruit. I know many women who've loved this approach. It's not my preferred cup of orange pekoe.

And I say that respecting Beth Moore as a teacher. She has the gift. And I've seen many blessed by her, including, btw, me, many years ago. (And perhaps in the near future. I never rule it out.)

All that to say: I like the clarity and simplicity of the five-point reminder she offers for those times when life gets rough (or for any time, actually) and we need to align our thoughts with Scriptural truths.

Here they are as Shannon lists them:


1. God is who He says He is
2. God can do what He says He can do
3. I am who God says I am
4. I can do all things through Christ
5. God’s Word is alive and active in me


If you've been going through a hard time, read the whole entry. You can't have too much truth or too much encouragement.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Ha! You have no idea how resistant I was to doing one of her studies when we first started. The hype, and all that ... not to mention, as you said, the fill-in-the-blank workbook format, the videos (we used just the tapes in the beginning) and the schedule (that went out the window from the start) ... well, let me just say, I can count on one hand the contemporary Bible teachers who has impacted me as deeply as she has.

Oh, and I thought the five points were slightly cheesy at first, too ... until I started realizing how profound they really are. :-)