Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Q & A: Mick Silva, No Tip-Toeing Around

If you're easily offended by editors who say it as they see it (a la former publisher Chip MacGregor in his Novel Journey interview couple months back), then skip the link and the quote I'm about to offer you. Really, don't get your B.P. up.

If, however, you like it when editors strip away the diplomacy and say what's on their minds, read, read, read...THIS at Into the Fire blog. It's a 4 question interview with Mick Silva, acquisitions editor with Waterbrook Press, whose blog I get fed over at bloglines cause The Mir likes it. A lot. I like him, a lot. He might say what I write is crap (oh, dear), but I like people with a little bit of razor in the tongue. Keeps me alert. Keeps me wanting to push up higher.

There were four questions asked, paraphrased as follows:

1. What's the most difficult part of his job?
2. What kind of writing does he prefer to read?
3. What would he change about Christian fiction?
4. What's his most important piece of advice for unpubbed writers?

I offer a snippet of the answer from Q #4, because, well, it's sure to tick some folks off, and a bowlful of pasta followed by fresh watermelon clearly puts me in a mischievous sort of mood. So, here ya go:

I think that if Christian writers (e.g. "Writers for God") really had faith in God's call, they would get day jobs and stop writing what's easy to sell. Seriously, it mocks God's authority to write much of what sells in Christian stores today. No one's saying it--or at least not loudly enough--and our silence only undermines our disobedience. We need writers willing to submit to the yoke of poverty in order to say what needs to be said. We need to turn from the idea that we can have it all, and that God wants us happy, and that it's okay to compromise and make excuses about being good stewards and the greater good of having wealth. Commit to your calling, study God's true nature and his work in the world, and craft works that don't give readers the easy solutions, easy ways out, formula faith. Too many books offer a warped (modified) version of reality and it's time to stop selling out.


His answer to Q#3 will also make teeth grind. Hee.

3 comments:

Carmen Andres said...

ooo, i like this guy. heh.
on the christian filmmaking end of things, have you seen barbara nicolosi's comments on the Christian film effort, Facing the Giants? talk about calling it as you see it! ouch.

Beth Goddard said...

Mir, whose blog is Into the Fire? I couldn't tell:)

Mirtika said...

I don't know, Beth. That was my first visit there.

Carmen, Barbara really was on fire. I'm gonna have to post on that.

Mir