Monday, November 13, 2006

Christian Science Fiction & Fantasy
Blog Tour: LANDON SNOW &
THE ISLAND OF ARCANUM


Meet Landon Snow he is a small town boy just like you! He fights with his younger sisters, he is confused by adults, filled with doubts about God, and disillusioned with life, but a magic journey through the Book of Meaning will lead him into a realm where new friends are discovered and answers unearthed.

So was the world's initial introduction to Landon Snow in the first book of R.K. (aka Randy) Mortenson's fantasy series for young folks. (Think ages 9 through 12 and up.) These are stories written with the multi-layered intent to be entertaining, magical, and, just as importantly, meaningful. Here is Randy, in his own words:

As I was writing Landon Snow I kept wondering, "Is it okay to do this? Can I use the Bible in the story and include fantasy?" My fears, I realized, were over what other people would think. When I looked to God and asked the same questions, the questions fairly evaporated. I felt reassured by a sense of God telling me: I gave you my Word; I gave you a vivid imagination; I gave you the talent to write. Use them.

I think the Bible today has lost its "magic." I'm not talking about spells and such. I'm talking about its appearing special and unique as the Word of God: as a means-or window-into another world beyond our own. There is power in the Word of God and it does transport us to another place. It also ignites the imagination. I thought, if kids open their Bibles to find some of this "magic," then that's a very good thing. (If kids-and adults-open their Bibles at all, that's a good thing.) I also thought, even if they don't open their Bibles, at least they've read a few lines of Scripture in the novel itself.


His publisher, Barbour, is known for publishing safe Christian reads, that is to say, no Barbour book will have content that any Christian parent would find patently offensive. (Witness their HeartSong romances, squeaky as clean can be in the romance world.) If you have doubts about Harry Potter or other secular fantasy books out there aimed at the young, you need have no fear with the LANDON SNOW AND THE ISLAND OF ARCANUM, the third in the series, or any of the two previous stories with the eponymous protagonist.

Kevin Lucia, over at Bookshelf Reviews, has this to say about LANDON SNOW AND THE ISLAND OF ARCANUM:
There are many writers emerging who’ve recognized the need to return the mystery and magic to youth fiction, but with the exception of a few notables, (Raising Dragons, by Bryan Davis; Never Ceese, by Sue Dent), few approach the solid literary chops of Mortenson. In my long years of reading, I’ve encountered many YA novels that I believe were written either as direct propaganda, or the author mistakenly assumed YA novels were easier to write because of the younger aged readers. The Landon Snow series is clearly written by someone who’s been gifted with the talent of storytelling.

Visit the official site for the series and find out more.

And after you've done that, visit our terrific tourmates:

Jim Black
Jackie Castle
Valerie Comer
Frank Creed
Christina Deanne
Janey DeMeo
April Erwin
Beth Goddard
Rebecca Grabill
Todd Michael Greene
Leathel Grody
Karen Hancock
Katie Hart
Sherrie Hibbs
Sharon Hinck
Joleen Howell
Jason Joyner
Karen's MYSPACE
Oliver King
Tina Kulesa
Kevin Lucia
Rachel Marks
Shannon McNear
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Caleb Newell
John Otte
Cheryl Russell
Hanna Sandvig
Mirtika Schultz
Stuart Stockton
Steve Trower
Chris Walley
Daniel I. Weaver
Lost Genre Guild
Speculative Faith

And remember, if you have a boy or girl in your family who would be delighted to follow Landon in his magical adventures, I have a three-book set of the harcovers in quite pleasing, youthful-hands-friendly dimensions. Post a comment asking to be entered in the drawing, and you might just win this series for your household or to give as a Christmas gift. Or, hey, for your church library.

Entries will be accepted all three days of the blog tour.

Landon Snow and the Island of Arcanum

3 comments:

R. K. Mortenson said...

Thanks, Mir! Great posting. This is cool.

Blessings,
Randy

Sue Dent said...

WOW! What an honor to be mentioned in the same breath with Bryan Davies, even though I will be doing a book event with him sometime this Spring in Binghamton NY. What an honor to be mentioned at all!!! Oh, do tell me you plan on writing a review of Never Ceese! And yes, I hear what you're saying. I have a 13 year old who started reading Harry Potter when she was around eight. She wasn't looking to have any truth imparted to her but why not add a little!! Responsible writing is what I call it. Now to steal a line from one of my characters, "But what of it!" Fantasy doesn't have to be so dark.

Now keep writing!

But I'll bet I didn't have to tell you to do that!

Sue Dent

Sue Dent said...

Oooops, I guess I should say thanks Kevin! LOL But I did so enjoy reading your blog today! Keep up the good work!