Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What NOT To Name Your Fantasy Novel

Today, from The Rejecter, addressing the "multi-book story":

Multi-book stories are fairly normal in certain genres, mainly fantasy, particularly high fantasy. If you book is not fantasy, you're in trouble, and you may just want to make it into one long book. (It's the same story, isn't it? Why isn't it one book?) If it's some kind of historical epic, it's allowed to be excessively long. If it's a mystery, it's supposed to be relatively short. It all depends on your genre.

(If it is high fantasy, do not name the first book "The Prophecy." We've seen that a million times and it's honestly getting annoying. Trust me)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, now you make make me want to name the first book in my current epic "The Prophecy" (or, even worse, "The Profit C"). Anything's better than the current working title of 8book1.

Mirtika said...

Profit C

See, I'm digging that. It's a futuristic tale of seers and CEO-wizards of multi-dimensional corporations. :D With a Terry Pratchett tone.

Mir

Anonymous said...

You know, this "Rejecter" guy/gal is exactly the kind of burnt out blowhard that sort of keeps me from ever wanting to submit or shop anything I've written around. Geez, even his rant has silly grammaticals. I mean, I'm sure he/she reads a lot of crap. And my job sucks too at times. But your customer/client is not your enemy. I know he/she's trying to help, but it comes across as just tooting his/her own horn and doesn't exactly inspire me to want to burden him/her /w the fruits of my hard work. And it's not like he/she's even a publisher. They're just people who supposedly "know" publishers.


Snark


PS Happily, I think that cool little e-book thing you "want" is gonna change the face of publishing someday soon. And this guy/gal's gonna be out of work.

Anonymous said...

You know, this "Rejecter" guy/gal is exactly the kind of burnt out blowhard that sort of keeps me from ever wanting to submit or shop anything I've written around. Geez, even his rant has silly grammaticals. I mean, I'm sure he/she reads a lot of crap. And my job sucks too at times. But your customer/client is not your enemy. I know he/she's trying to help, but it comes across as just tooting his/her own horn and doesn't exactly inspire me to want to burden him/her /w the fruits of my hard work. And it's not like he/she's even a publisher. They're just people who supposedly "know" publishers.


Snark


PS Happily, I think that cool little e-book thing you "want" is gonna change the face of publishing someday soon. And this guy/gal's gonna be out of work.