Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Nope. I Do Not Believe There's Another Mir


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are:
2
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?




Call me skeptical. I'm highly doubting there's another gal with my first AND last name. It's not impossible: Some cutiepie Germanic type sidles up to a fetching Latina type and, bam, chemistry!

But that she'd have my first name (which ain't all that common, and which has another spelling variant) and hubby's last name (which is one of several spelling variations of the particular Germanic surname)....nah. I think they counted me twice. I think they're statistical doohickey hicccupped.

No, really.

Here's what happens when I put in my maiden name:


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are:
0
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?




My middle and eldest sister get ZERO persons with their names (married). Obviously, my parents weren't big on common female Latina names like Elena or Maria or Juana or Carmen or Rosa. My brother's name shows up as 3 people having it in the U.S.

My beloved and utterly unique hubby has, nonetheless, a commonish name, cause 803 people in the US have it. This explains why I get calls every year from someone looking for some lost pal or relative by that name.

Rebecca Miller, she of Speculative Faith Mondays and A Christian Worldview of Fiction every day, has an even more common name. The U.S. has 2, 735 Rebecca Millers. Whereas Shannon McNear is in the same boat as I: Two of us in the US.

4,500 women share my first name in the U.S. That testifies to a whole lotta Latinas round here. In contrast, there are 322, 466 Shannons. The Irish are mighty in this land. Rebecca's number 644,932. The Old Testament is mightier than the Irish or the Hispanics!

More fun with blogger pals and names. How many of "them" in the U.S.:

David Meigs= 21
Chris Mikesell= 4
Jon Bertrand= 6 (Of course, we know there's only one, and will only ever be one, Jon Mark Bertrand, the eurythrophile.)
Bonnie Calhoun= 67
Matt Mikalatos= 0 (Matt, sorry, but you don't exist, snooky.)
Camy Tang= 0 (Camy must be living next door to Matt.)
Valerie Comer= 13
Carmen Andres= 10
Chris Miller= 1,405 (Even though Chris is in Canada, there are a lot of him in the U.s. apparently. Maybe clones. God help us.)
Jane LeBak= 0 (Hmmm...I see a gated community for the invisible people shaping up. The walls of the community cannot be penetrated by census takers.)
Jim Black= 111
Stuart Stockton= 4 (Though two of them are just visiting from another planet.)

How about some authors?~~~

Kathy Tyers= 0 (Okay, so it's a BIG gated community.)
Karen Hancock= 210 (Which means if Karen is too tired to attend a con, she can send one of the others!)
Gene Wolfe= 46
Connie Willis= 169 (I wonder if 168 of them are voting for the Hugo?)
Jane Yolen= 0 (She's the official folk tale-teller of the gated community.)
Ted Dekker= 1 (Okay, now that's just weird.)
Chris Well= 2 (And I will not make a joke about head size here.)
Bryan Davis= 1,368 (No one knows how many of those are actually dragons.)

I still think I'm the only one with my name.

One more shot. I put in the name I think of myself as--Mirtika Schultz:

There are 0 people in the U.S. with the first name Mirtika.


Ahhhhh. Zero. ZERO! Wait a minute. That means I can go live in a nice two-story chalet in the gated community with Camy and Kathy and Jane and Jane and Matt and write happily ever after.

I promise. You can come visit Zeroland. But you gotta check your name at the door.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 of the Jim Blacks live in the small town of Bedford. But none of us are related.

Mirtika said...

Wow. Is it something in the water? ; )

Mir

Camy Tang said...

WOW I'd love to live with you in Zeroland.

And I guess it's a good thing there's nobody with my name, right? Cuz then people can't mistake me for some OTHER writer named Camy Tang.

And actually, there's a singer in Hong Kong named Camy Tang. Occasionally I get hits on my website from people who translate it into Chinese.

Camy

UKSteve said...

Well, apparently there's three of me, and I'm none of 'em...

But I find it sort of agreeable that I have the 12913th most popular surname in the US :)

Steve

Mirtika said...

Camy, I rathre like the idea of some singer sending people to your blog. Might be potential readers. :D

Steve, any place that has the REAL Steve Trower is a fortunate land, indeed.

Mir

J. Mark Bertrand said...

Hey, my first name is actually Jon, not John, so that brings me down to just 6 duplicates. Not unique, but a lot less derivative than I appear on your list!

Matt Mikalatos said...

My real name is Mirtika. Crazy, huh? :)

I checked on the site and it said there's no one with my last name at all! Which means that my wife, children, parents, sisters and various and sundry other family members are all living in our invisible, gated community. We're like the "Little Greece" of the community, I guess.

Come on over and have some spanokopita.

Mirtika said...

Jon, you're indubitably one-of-a-kind. And I love you, man. And I'm sorry I got your name wrong. I was thinking New Testament. :D


Matt. I adore Greek food. Every week, I gotta get my tzatziki fix. And spanakopita. And avgolemono soup. And Lemonokata chicken. Moussaka. Keftides. And yemitsa. And steamed horta. And patates fornou. And I probably misspelled it all. Oh, and baklava, of course. Mmmmmm.

I always look forward to the Greek festival...Opa!

But, well, no seafood. Allergic. And I can't stand ouzo. Sorry. ; )

BTW, it's very peaceful in Zeroland. We can have all the Greek food to ourselves. Shhhhh.

Mirtika said...

The "John" has now been changed to "Jon" and the numerical correction entered.

Mir

Matt Mikalatos said...

The nice thing about Greek food is that most of it can be spelled more than one way. I mean, in addition to being great to eat.

I went to the Portland Greek Festival a couple weeks ago. Favorite sign: "Alcohol must be consumed on the church property."

Mirtika said...

Well, if you must, you must. :D Make mine Shiraz.

Mir