Wednesday, October 18, 2006

New Blog Find: Adventures in Aberdeen

I was wandering around the blogs of online acquaintances, and I found a comment by someone named Kelli, which sidetracked me to a blog called ADVENTURES IN ABERDEEN.

I am quite charmed by the voice of the blogger. I'm also digging the pics.

Here's an excerpt, where the blogger recounts a visit to a church turned cafe:

While I understand the appeal to use an old building, with all of its beauty and depth as a place for people to hang out - that is not what bothers me. What struck me as especially sad was knowing the hearts of the people who first built it, and what they wanted this building to say to the people who saw it. I couldn't help but look at the stories being told in everything from the stain glass to the details in the architecture that pointed to something much more than the sum of its parts. There is something to be said for a space that was built as sacred space, as someone recently said to me - and I find this to be true. Interestingly enough, the pub hasn't ceased to be sacred space, but it has ceased to be a certain kind of sacred space. The people here have not ceased to be religious, they have just developed a different kind of religion. Worship happens everywhere, and this place does not differ from any other - the difference is that it was designed for the worship of God, and now it is used for the worship of man.


And this one that cracked me up and that highlights one of the city's quirks:

For those of you who have never been to Aberdeen, and I assume that is most, let me explain something about the city. Aberdeen is the third largest city in Scotland boasting about 200,000 people. For the benefit of those people, there has to be at least 10,000 hair-dressers in town.

It is truly one of the oddest things I have ever seen. At one corner we were less than 100 feet from 6 hair places....6! It seems that there is something in the water that effects people who want to open new stores - and they feel an uncontainable urge that it must be a hair-salon of some kind.



I think you should drop by. Maybe say hello. Enjoy the funky, fairy tale mushroom pic. Read some of the entries. It's a fun little place with a good soul.

2 comments:

Andrew Pass Educational Services, LLC said...

Greetings,

I couldn't find your email address but I wanted to let you know about a seminar that I'm running in Miami on December 11th. The seminar is intended for clergymen (and women) and teachers of religion to learn about the tools of the Web 2.0 (blogs, wikis and podcasts). I'm hoping that you might know some people who would benefit from this seminar. There is more information about it on a wiki: http://technologyforreligiousleaders.wikispaces.com/

Sorry about this form of communication, but I am a real person and this is not spam.

Thanks,

Andrew Pass
http://www.Pass-Ed.com/blogger.html

Mirtika said...

Sorry, Andrew, but 200 bucks for a one day seminar is beyond the reach of most folks I know. I've attended 1 day workshops, and the cost has generally run from $65 to $120 bucks. I've attended 3 days seminars that cost $300. So, by comparison...it does seem a mite steep.

I'm sure the information is useful, but the cost is a bit high for me to recommend to the budget-strapped folks in my circle.

Mir