Thursday, October 05, 2006

CBA and Christian SF: A Hopeful View

I've started listening to some of the ACFW Conference cds I ordered. And it is NOT encouraging to someone like me who wants to write SF for the CBA audience. In fact, it's a downer.

(Note: If you plan to order, you'll be pleasantly surprised. The speed with which I received my discs and the quality of the audio far, far surpasses my experience with the company RWA uses. I strongly suggest RWA switch to Conference Media. These people are on the ball. Ya listening, RWA?)

But Shannon McNear offers light in the darkness with her Thursday Speculative Faith post:
I believe God has wonderful things in store for this genre. The readership is THERE. Just in the past two weeks, I’ve heard of so many people clamoring for quality Christian spec fiction. My sister works in the computer tech department of a major ministry, and when she told them about the ACFW conference and what I write, they all were very excited and wanted to know where they could read some of this good stuff? And this morning I received an email from Sharon Hinck, author of the recent release, The Secret Life of Becky Miller. She writes: “Monday I spoke to a church book group about BECKY MILLER, but when I mentioned RESTORER they lit up. There are SO MANY fans of sci-fi/fantasy...people hungry for these stories. I'm baffled that it hasn't yet translated to the powers-that-be-in CBA getting it.”


Yes, yes, read it all!

And pray for more fans of SF to join the editorial and marketing ranks in Christian publishing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I've started listening to some of the ACFW Conference cds I ordered. And it is NOT encouraging to someone like me who wants to write SF for the CBA audience. In fact, it's a downer."

Could you clarify? I can't tell if the stories were good or if they sucked. I mean, either could be discouraging. Personally, I'd find bad stories more discouraging.

Chris

Mirtika said...

Chris, what I mean is that at the "editor's panel" and at the SF workshop with author John Olson, the word is that they are not seeking SF. Period. That's what I mean by downer.

Mir