Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Anti-Christian Bigotry In Public Schools

From "bible Reading Student Gets Lesson in Litigation":

Mangum said her daughter was reading her Bible on Sept. 14 when Vice Principal Jeanetta Rainey approached. According to Mangum and the lawsuit, Rainey told Amber that reading the Bible violated school policy and that she would face discipline if she continued to do so.

Later that day, Amber recounted the episode to Mangum, who is her adoptive mother and also her biological grandmother. James Baker, a family friend, sent a note to the school asking that the principal identify any policy barring students from reading the Bible during their free time.

The note quoted a section of the school system's administrative procedures, saying that students "may read their Bibles or other scriptures, say grace before meals, and pray before tests to the same extent they may engage in comparable, non-disruptive activities."

The principal, Charoscar Coleman, did not respond, the lawsuit says.



This is not new. In 1977, the same thing happened to me. But in high school. I'd borrowed all sorts of stuff with explicit material from the library and read it eating lunch. No problem. Feminist manifestoes. No sweat. Birth control pamphlets. No interference.

The day I was reading my NASB Bible, the vice-principal came and told me to stop, that I wasn't allowed to read a bible on school grounds. I don't even remember my reply. I just took advantage of my privileges as a gifted student to go read my Bible in the advanced learning lab, where vice-principals tended not to loiter.

1977. 2006. The anti-Bible brigade is still oppressing students.

hat tip to Elliot

2 comments:

Elliot said...

The Bible can be a very dangerous book!

Mirtika said...

Yeah, especially when I have the urge to ram it into someone's eye.

Er...with love.
Mir