Sunday, September 17, 2006

RIP: Charles Lewis Grant

Charles L. Grant has died. If you're a fan of speculative fiction, you'll likely recognize this name. He's appeared in many anthologies you must have happened upon over the years.

I'm fairly certain the first story of his I ever read was "Glow of Candles, A Unicorn's Eye." Isn't that a memorable, imagistic, gorgeous bit of titling. The novelette won a Nebula. A couple of his stories are up at SciFiction (archives), and you can read them sans cost:

~"A Crowd of Shadows"
~ "Temperature Days on Hawthorne Street"

Neil Gaiman posted something of a eulogy:

The last time I saw him he was grey (hair, skin and beard) and gaunt and sick. Now he's dead, I find I'm thinking of him as I first knew him, meeting him at a British Fantasycon in about 1984, smart and funny and sharp, with a dark beard and dark hair and dark eyes, and I was in awe of him because he'd written some of the most gently evocative horror short stories I'd ever read and he had a Nebula Award and had written books and he had pseudonyms and everything.


And now I'm just thinking about Time, and what it gives us, and what it takes away.




No comments: