Monday, September 11, 2006

Poem and Verses:
Remembering the Unforgettable Day

The towers at one.
The silent prongs of a tuning fork,
testing the calm.

Then a shudder or bump.
A juddering thump or a thud.
I swear no more

than a thump or a thud
But a Pepsi Max jumps out of its cup.
And a filing cabinet spews its lunch.

And the water-cooler staggers then slumps.
Then a sonic boom and the screen goes blue.
Then a deep, ungodly dragon’s roar.

In the lobby, the lift opens up,
and out of the door
the tongue of a dragon comes rolling out.

Then the door slides shut and the flames are gone.
Then ceiling tiles, all awry at once.
Then dust, a soft, white dust

snowing down from above.
We are ghostly at once.

~excerpt from "Out of the Blue" by Simon Armitage

~ ~ ~


Psalm 25:2-3
In you I trust, O my God. Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me. No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame, but they will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse.

Psalm 119:114

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

Psalm 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

Lamentations 3:20-23
I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.


For more, here.

3 comments:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I pray that we never forget!

Camy Tang said...

Good poem. Good verses.
Camy

Anonymous said...

I hope the real culprits are someday brought to justice, if only in the eyes of history.

Chris