Thursday, September 21, 2006

Hannibal Lecter Returns This December

The new novel by Thomas Harris will take you to an earlier time in Hannibal the Cannibal's life. I'm guessing it will have gross stuff to spare in each of those 1.5 million copies of the first printing.

From CNN:

"Now, in 'Hannibal Rising,' readers will at last learn of Lecter's beginnings and will see the evolution of his evil," Irwyn Applebaum, president and publisher of the Bantam Dell Publishing Group, said Tuesday in a statement.

Harris' novel was originally titled "Behind the Mask" and was supposed to come out in the fall of 2005. Applebaum declined comment when asked by The Associated Press why the book took longer than expected, saying, "Sometimes, that's how the process works."

Harris was simultaneously writing the screenplay for a film version of "Hannibal Rising," due in early 2007.



I have to admit, I really enjoyed--enjoyed might be the wrong word, though--THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS when I read the paperback way back when. I had bought it because, previously, I had read and something-like-enjoyed-but-not-quite the other novel with Lecter, RED DRAGON, as well as seen the Michael Mann flick based on it, MANHUNTER.

I don't know if I could stand a ratcheting up of the gruesome aspects. I didn't read HANNIBAL after hearing some of the reviews re: contents. Not that I'm overly squeamish. I watched the film (love me Hopkins and, heretically, prefer Julianne Moore's "Starling" to Jodie Foster's) and didn't puke. Maybe I'll wait for the film again.

I wonder who'd they get to play younger Lecter? Long, wide shoes to fill after Hopkins take on it. It's gonna be crucial to find the right actor.

Any ideas who'd be good?

No comments: