Thursday, September 28, 2006

Get Ready Now For 2007 Genesis Contest

As a disorganized, low-energy gal, I'm always amazed at people who can juggle many things at once and run on super-speed.

One of these people is the indefatigable, witty, generous Camy Tang, she of the Asian Chick Lit, 3-book contract with Zondervan fame. Camy will ONCE MORE coordinate the Genesis Contest for ACFW. She did a great job this year, and I expect with all this experience under her Japanese silk belt, she'll be even more brilliant in 2007.

Here is some info to get you all motivated to write and save your entry fee dollars:
The contest will open sometime in November, probably. Some of the rules will change, although nothing is solidified yet. The rules will be posted on the website when the contest opens. Postmark deadline will be Feb 14th 2007.


It's not likely I'll enter the contest, and it's even less likely that I'll enter in the SF category. I'm too buy with this current WIP and I'm a slow, slow, procrastinatingly slow, writer. But ya never know for sure, huh?

So, while it's still early, I propose that all of you who choose to write CSF enter the SF/F category, and that you get together and start praying for and offering feedback to others entering the SF GENESIS category.

Why?

Well, it never hurts to shine for the sake of the genre. But, also, I would love to see an SF work win overall best. YEAH!

If you've entered before, you know what to expect.

If you've never entered the ACFW contest, here's what you need to start doing now:

1. Be ready to have your first few chapters tight, captivating, and chock full of your "voice." Sounding fresh and non-generic will make you stand out. Cultivate your you-ness. (How many pages or chapters, you ask? This year it was the first 25 pages. I dunno if they'll make it longer or shorter. So, I'd say, think in terms of at least 25 pp.)

2. Have a coherent, entertaining, well-crafted, short synopsis ready to fly by April. And by short, I mean no more than 5 pages, and prefereably 2.

3. Work out a comprehensive proposal, in case you make it to the finals. This takes a lot of time, so thinking about and researching it now or soon can't hurt. Think in terms of chapter outlines, marketing platform, short bio, promotional ideas, hook, comparable novels, branding ideas, audience, etc. If all this is Aramaic to you, get someone who has done proposals to give you a sample. (If I find a good online workshop on it, I'll link to it later on.)

4. Find someone, or two to three someones, who can give you on-target and valuable critiques by the end of this year--or no later than mid-January--so you have time to revise before mailing your entry.
If you already have a finished novel and you plan to enter, then you still need to PPP: polish and prepare that proposal.

I recommend you read my Non-Comprehensive Tour of Trouble-Spot Tip-Offs, so that you can avoid THOSE particular prose pitfalls.

Get cracking, ye creative ones.

3 comments:

Mike Duran said...

"Cultivate your you-ness." I usually get in trouble when I do this. No doubt, your "you-ness" is what catapulted you to Genesis fame, Mir. By the way, congrats on winning. I was there when they announced it and had to be restrained from doing cartwheels across the banquet hall.

Mirtika said...

HAHAH. You guys are such hoots. I've been more thrilled about the reaction of my online pals than the actual award. And that's not lie. It's lovely to have folks think well enough of me to cheer my win.

Mir

Mirtika said...

Oh, and Mikey, it's your YOUNESS that'll make your name. What readers want, besides a good story, is a personality, I think.

I do.

Mir