Friday, September 22, 2006

Friday Femme at Speculative Faith:
Part II of "Hell is the Absence of God"

So, it's Friday again. Come by my sixth-day nook at Speculative Faith, where today's second parter posts interview quotes from the author of the story, Ted Chiang, before I go off into the wild forests of story analysis, trying to make my own little clearing for a literary picnic.

I bring the sandwiches. You bring the Coke Zero.

See if you think my comparison is on the mark. Discuss. Pass the potato salad.

Edited to Add Update:
John C. Wright, author of ORPHANS OF CHAOS (which is on my to-be-read list and sits even now on my clogged-with-stacks-of-books coffee table) has, coincidentally, also posted on this story (highly critically) on his most excellent blog. It's part of his "Separation of Church and Spaceship" series, and I recommend all installments.

Thanks to Elliot the Clawmeister for the heads up. (Although I would have gotten to it, as I have Wright on my blogline feeds. You should, too.)

1 comment:

The Curmudgeon's Rant said...

I wasn’t surprised to learn that Mr. Chiang is an atheist, based on last week’s analysis. I still might download his book though. BTW - I enjoyed today’s installment.