Sunday, September 03, 2006

Free Fictional Gaimany Treat:
"A Study In Emerald"

Read the Hugo-winning story by Neil Gaiman: "A Study In Emerald"
It is the immensity, I believe. The hugeness of things below. The darkness of dreams.

But I am woolgathering. Forgive me. I am not a literary man.

I had been in need of lodgings. That was how I met him. I wnated someone to share the cost of rooms with me. We were introduced by a mutual acquaintance, in the chemical labortatgories of St. Bart's. "You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive," that was what he said to me, and my mouth fell open and my eyes opened very wide
.


There are many hints. But there are just as many surprises. (Don't bypass the delightful "ads".) I almost guarantee you won't see what's coming in "A Study of Emerald." But the title is a very good clue.

As he's known for, Gaiman offers many allusions to works you may be familiar with and shows how ingenious a borrower can be.

Read on...

No comments: