Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Closet Sci-Fi Geekiness Over Star Trek TOS


I don't know how closeted one's geekiness is when one blogs about it--is that an oxymoron, closeted blogging?-- but Closet Sci-Fi Geek (whose postings I enjoy and who happens to be quite cute--go see her pic) has got the full set of original series STAR TREK as a birthday goody. The review of "The Naked Time" is quite enthusiastic. Considering the VHS cover left, it was more like "The Half-Naked Sulu."

This is the episode that inspired an homage follow-up in Next Generation: "The Naked Now."

Naked is such a loaded word next to the word "now." Dang.

I hope she blogs on more episodes. I have a warm spot in my geeky heart for ST: TOS. Partly, this was because 1. I thought the idea of traveling the universe was amazingly wonderful, and 2. when I was eight, I wanted to marry Spock. Come to think of it, I still wanted to marry Spock when I was 13. That may be one of my longest teenybopper crushes.

For Spockettes, "The Naked Time" is a key episode, along with "Amok Time" , "All Our Yesterdays", and "This Side of Paradise." Any episode where we could get some yummy angsty or lusty emotion out of our fave science officer, hooray!

Remember, this week is the 40th anniversary of the debut of the original series opener, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." It first aired September 22, 1966. I was 61/2 years old. Yoiks. Times does indeed fugit.

You'll also want to check out the YouTube.com trailer for the remastered ST. High def, baby. Sounds and looks good! See if it's gonna show on TV in your area (or already has).

ETA: Sci-Fi Geek Gal has posted a review of "Tomorrow is Yesterday," for you Trekkers who wanna keep track.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hi Mirtika, thanks for the plug! But I wanted to clarify that it a guest geek, my friend Nikki, who is posting the Star Trek reviews under the name "Mrs. Kirk."

:-)

-Closet Sci-Fi Geek