Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Top-Notch Writer's Handwritten Pages

File this under "not very useful, but rather fun"--fun, that is, if, like me, you have something of a schoolgirl crush on disheveled and dark-haired Mr. Gaiman.

Here you'll find uploaded examples of some of Mr. G's handwritten pages. I like the one with the doodled face. An example at left.

I dunno about y'all, but it comforts me that his pages are as messy and vulnerable-looking as mine. If only I could get my writing to kick butt like Neil's, then I'd be cooking! Of course, I'd first have to be as disciplined as the man. And as well-read.

If you want to read what a day in the life of an assistant to a best-selling writer is like, check out Gaiman's blog. His assistant wrote up an amusing look into her life and her boss's. It's the August 12th entry, and here's a tidbit from the opening:

A Day in the Life of a Personal Assistant

Wake up. Drive to Boss's House. Think to myself "way way too early". Make tea. Get ready to wake Boss for an early morning conference call with foreign editor. Attempt to wake Boss. Find what looks like a corpse. Remember Boss promised to have an "Early Night" and wake upon the dawn like a lark, refreshed and ready for the day. Realize Boss has only been asleep for an hour or so.

Shake corpse. Corpse attempts speech. Corpse fails. Tea, I say, over and over, in conversational tones. Boss makes it to tea, which is beside the bed, not a far leap for many, but a large one for Boss. Asks me to find the Last Big Contract for the Last Big Project but I am too smart for that trick. Wait until Boss is actually working thru morning e-mail until I leave the room.


~Read it all. It's quite nifty.

No comments: