Friday, August 25, 2006

A Ragged, Angry Prayer: Deadwood's Doc

Rebecca of Of Making Many Books has posted a link to a one-actor scene from DEADWOOD. It's a powerful prayer moment on film. I recommend you view it. Rebecca prefaces the scene thusly:

Let me set the stage: Doc Cochran survived the horror of the Civil War and has now come to the lawless frontier town of Deadwood. In episodes leading up to this moment the Doctor has nursed an ailing minister, a good man who suffers from a terminal brain ailment. This clip shows the Doc struggling with God in the face of this misery.


I also can admit that I've had these moments--just as tear-filled and just as perplexed and just as angry--with God. And I do believe he understands that we need these moments. Like Job, we may not get answers, but we need to ask the questions.

In the end, it does come down to this: Will we or won't we submit after the emotional storm subsides, and say, "Thy will be done."

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thank you for sharing this, Mir. I've had these moments too. And it is the most difficult thing in the world to do what Doc Cochran does at the end of his prayer.

The clip is proof too that the transcendent can be found in the unlikeliest of places. HBO.

Mirtika said...

It was nice to see Brad Dourif. He's a good actor, and terribly underused. I had no idea he was in DEADWOOD. Makes me wanna rent it.

Mir

The Curmudgeon's Rant said...

I'm starting to miss HBO