Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Hugo Award Nominees: Links To The Stories

In case you weren't aware, you can read the nominated Hugo stories, novellas, and novelettes online before the awards are given out. I'm assuming the freebie yummies will be taken off after the voting is done and the awards given. I figure you have at least a month to enjoy them.

Here they are with links and the opening lines:

Hugo Short Stories


"Singing My Sister Down" by Margo Lanagan

We all went down to the tar-pit, with mats to spread our weight.

Ikky was standing on the bank, her hands in a metal twin-loop behind her. She’d stopped sulking; now she looked, more, stare-y and puzzled.


(Top ranked story by various online fans.)
~
"Down Memory Lane" by Mike Resnick

Gwendolyn sticks a finger into her cake, pulls it out, and licks it with a happy smile on her face.

“I like birthdays!” she says, giggling with delight.
~
"Seventy Five Years" by Michael A. Burstein

Isabel paused at the entrance of the Hart Senate Office Building. She turned southwest for a moment to take one last look at the shell of the Capitol Building. A rare Columbia District snowfall obscured her view slightly, but she could still make out the scaffolding surrounding the dome. They were saying that it wouldn't be rebuilt until the summer, half a year or so away.
~
"T'k'tk'tk" by David Levine

Walker’s voice recorder was a beautiful thing of aluminum and plastic, hard and crisp and rectangular. It sat on the waxy countertop, surrounded by the lumpy excreted-looking products of the local technology. Unique selling proposition, he thought, and clutched the leather handle of his grandfather’s briefcase as though it were a talisman.

~
"The Clockwork Atom Bomb" by Dominic Green

"Over here, mister. This is the place."

The girl tugged Mativi's sleeve and led him down a street that was mostly poorly-patched shll holes.


(One of the more praised stories by the From The Heart of Europe http://nhw.livejournal.com/657581.html blog round-up of feedback.)

Hugo Novellettes


"Telepresence" by Michael A. Burstein

Catherine Harriman was doing her homework when she died.
~
"I, Robot" by Cory Doctorow

Arturo Icaza de Arana-Goldberg, Police Detective Third Grade, United North American Trading Sphere, Third District, Fourth Prefecture, Second Division (Parkdale) had had many adventures in his distinguished career, running crooks to ground with an unbeatable combination of instinct and unstinting devotion to duty.
~
"Two Hearts" by Peter S. Beagle

MY BROTHER WILFRID KEEPS saying it's not fair that it should all have happened to me. Me being a girl, and a baby, and too stupid to lace up my own sandals properly. But I think it's fair. I think everything happened exactly the way it should have done. Except for the sad parts, and maybe those too
~
"The Calorie man" by Paolo Bacigalupi

"NO MAMMY, NO PAPPY, poor little bastard. Money? You give money?" The urchin turned a cartwheel and then a somersault in the street, stirring yellow dust around his nakedness.

(**This one already won the Theodore Sturgeon Award.)
~
"The King of Where-I-Go" by Howard Waldrop

When I was eight, in 1954, my sister caught polio.

It wasn't my fault, although it took twenty years before I talked myself out of believing it was. See, we had this fight …


Hugo Novellas


Burn by James Patrick Kelly

For the hero is often the simplest and obscurest of men.
--Walden

Spur was in the nightmare again. It always began in the burn.

~
Inside Job by Connie Willis

“Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.”
—H.L. Mencken

“It’s me, Rob,” Kildy said when I picked up the phone. “I want you to go with me to see somebody Saturday.”

Usually when Kildy calls, she’s bubbling over with details. “You’ve got to see this psychic cosmetic surgeon, Rob,” she’d crowed the last time. “His specialty is liposuction, and you can see the tube coming out of his sleeve. And that’s not all. The fat he’s supposed to be suctioning out of their thighs is that goop they use in McDonald’s milkshakes. You can smell the vanilla! It wouldn’t fool a five-year-old, so of course half the women in Hollywood are buying it hook, line, and sinker. We’ve got to do a story on him, Rob!”

~
Little Goddess by Ian McDonald

"I remember the night I became a goddess."
~
"Magic for Beginners" by Kelly Link

FOX IS A TELEVISION CHARACTER, and she isn't dead yet. But she will be, soon. She's a character on a television show called The Library. You've never seen The Library on TV, but I bet you wish you had.
~
"Identity Theft" by Robert J. Sawyer

The door to my office slid open. "Hello," I said, rising from my chair. "You must be my nine o'clock." I said it as if I had a ten o'clock and an eleven o'clock, but I didn't. The whole Martian economy was in a slump, and, even though I was the only private detective on Mars, this was the first new case I'd had in weeks.
~
Stromata blog's Tom V. ranks "Burn" as his favorite among the novellas.

From the Heart of Europe blog has a round-up of opinions on the Hugo ballot's short stories, novelettes, and novellas-- with oodles of links. Check them out.

Full list of nominees with links to the texts.

SF Signal's rankings for nominees: They rank "Burn", "Telepresence", "Singing My Sister Down", highest in novella, novelette, and short story, respectively.

The Hugo Awards will be presented at the LA Con IV ceremony on August 27th.

Read the contenders. Tell me who you think should win.


Join the discussion of Christian Fantasy, Christian Science Fiction, or just Speculative Fiction from a Christian Perspective!

3 comments:

Mike Duran said...

Hey, thanks for the terrific list, Mir. I don't recall being able to read so many nominated stories online, pre-vote.

Mirtika said...

I only just discovered this recently that they do this. I had NO idea you'd get to read all that for free. I found it out with the Nebula nominees. I was telling everyone: Hey, go read these stories for FREE!!!!!

I don't know if other award categories --World Fantasy, etc--do this, but I figure they make it available for all who have to vote (to the magazine's advantage to do so and get voters reading ALL nominees.)

And it might not be bad for the author. If someone can read it for free, they might discover they really love writer X or Y, and buy something else from that writer.

Win-win, I figure.

Mir

Nicholas said...

Thanks for the link!