Friday, August 18, 2006

Bestselling Author's Advice To Writers

Jennifer Weiner, author of much spoken of novels such as GOOD IN BED and IN HER SHOES (the latter made into a rather nice flick with Toni Colette and Cameron Diaz), has some interesting advice for writers.

Check it out here at her website.

What does she say?

Hint: If you had a miserable childhood, own a dog, have seen the world, and took a job in journalism instead of pursuing an MFA, she'll say you've got some good training already.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow that was great! Funny too.

I've done/been thru pretty much everything she recommends: the liberal arts ed, lived most of my life out of my comfort zone, sold the short story, even written the great novel I needed to write. But I just don't have the relsiliance, time or energy to flog it, to send cover letters to like 40 agents so hopefully one of them can try to re-write it thru me. So bummer I guess. (I deliberately didn't look into this aspect of writng a novel until I'd finished one. It made it easier to fantasize this way.)

Somehow I sense that you would be a much better salesperson than I am, so you are probably not as detered by this aspect of the game.

Chris